Large Format, Paper Negative, DIY Camera Project

Hi Al. Welcome to RPF. You could always make a new one!! :) I have a 10x8 / 5x4 Sinar but mainly shoot 5x4 on large format. And it's certainly a lot cheaper shooting paper than film although the image quality isn't quite up to the Sinar! Yet!! ;)

Although the Mk II screen was much brighter than the Mk I, it was not possible to use a loupe so I made the Mk III. Again based on a piece of glass from a clip frame, the screen was made using a second sheet of glass and grinding paste. I used oil-based, medium-grade, valve grinding paste (as that was all that was to hand) but fine would have been slightly better. I added water and washing-up liquid to form a thinner emulsion and it only took about 10 minutes of grinding by hand to get a uniformly matte screen. Focus is much, much easier and is now accurate as can be seen in this test print (ca 6 seconds exposure) - the focus point was the larger seed pod in the bowl.

DIYCamMkIIIFocusingScreen-1-1.jpg

I stripped the print dryer down and cleaned it and re-shot the image. This time I scanned at 600 ppi (rather than 300) and inverted the image in PS.

DIYCamMkIIIFocusingScreen-4.jpg

Below is a detail from the area of focus.

DIYCamMkIIIFocusingScreen-3.jpg

Last edited:
I have just modified the base of the camera to improve its stability when mounted on a tripod. I originally intended to screw a sheet of ply into the recess below the camera but then realised this would cause problems with the fitment of the lens box. So instead I have added a second layer of plastic around the tripod boss and reinforced the front section and an area towards the back.

This shows the internal bracing of the rear reinforcement.

DIYCamBaseMod-2.jpg

And this is the completed modification with the plate of a large ball and socket head mounted to the tripod boss.

DIYCamBaseMod-3.jpg

It is not perfect but certainly more rigid and should give the extra stability I was after.

Back