Critique Welcomed Last Light At Hurricane Ridge

Matthew McKendry

Hey folks, new guy here, I figured I better post something other than comments on other photos and hello's, and I hear some of us here like photography, so we'll go with that :)
I'm sure we all have particularly memorable days as a photographer right? A new place or something we haven't tried before, or a time when the light just seems magic. A couple summers ago it was that last one for me.
Hurricane ridge is lovely little area with a visitors center, flower filled meadows, and a great view of washington states olympic mountains. We arrived late this day, and thought the clouds might be a bother, but as the sun went down the meadows and mountains glowed a warm gold that I hope I managed to do some justice to!

4xsmv2x.jpg

11794667246_618b5b5a2b_o.jpg

The light quickly began to fade, and as the sun fell behind trees, casting the meadows into darkness and turning the pines to black silhouettes I figured the days shooting was done...
11794759526_9bac5db1c4_o.jpg

However, about this time good old dad suggests we drive down the road a a couple hundred yards to a west facing viewpoint. But it's too dark, the light's gone, said cocky me. But it will be back, trust me, my dad said, so down the road we went.
And that's the day I learned you don't doubt those old school film shooters, because I'll never forget how red this sky was, and for how short a time :)
11809421933_ed30582427_o.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy, sorry if it was a bit long!

Oh my!!! You certainly have done it all the justice it needs. What a super set, and great write up with it too.
Don't worry about write ups being too long, I get carried away sometimes too. However, saying that. It 'makes' the photos more interesting with something to read with it too.
Splendid job! :)

Very nice set. You were there at the right time and in the right place. Colors are superb.

I like, in the foret photo, how the ridge in the middle ground seems to glow in the warm light. That draws me to investigate the mountains in the distance. Love the reds in the last shot.

Thanks for all the nice words friends :) I'm definitely glad the weather didn't deter us from going up there!

I really want to say something, but I'm afraid the images won't download for me :(

Hmm sorry about that Lesley! Here are the direct links, see if that works for you :)

http://i.imgur.com/4xsmv2x.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/northlandsphotography/11794667246/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/northlandsphotography/11794759526/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/northlandsphotography/11809421933/

And because of the positive response I'll also share this one, I don't think it's very good from a technical standpoint of proper exposure etc, however I like the contrast, gold and black, and those little flowers on the right seem nice, maybe I'm wacky though haha, I've been known to like an underexposed image now and again :)
B2dKypT.jpg

(And the click-y link for anyone having trouble http://i.imgur.com/B2dKypT.jpg)

3 and 4 for me - really nice Matthew

The subtle muted tones in #3, then that fiery red in #4

Works for me Matthew. Very dramatic. :)
Thanks Pete :) I do like drama... In photos anyway!

3 and 4 for me - really nice Matthew

The subtle muted tones in #3, then that fiery red in #4

The tones in 3 were quite interesting. Overall it was a pretty good learning experience in how quickly light can change enough to significantly effect a photo.

Having trouble with something Lesley?

Only the usual I think Dan. So many images from work that just have a cross. At home some take forever to download. I'm assuming Matthew has uploaded large files because I can sit here for minutes and not see anything in full. Our electricity threatened to go off this morning, so I'm just grateful to still have a connection to the outside world... :)

I like #s 2 and 3 especially. 2 because it just seems so late-afternoon-dying-light-ish, and 3 because of the must that has settled in the valley. And then there is the added one at the end, which I like for the intense yellow-orange sky behind the silhouetted trees. There could be a forest fire back there. Excellent!

Only the usual I think Dan. So many images from work that just have a cross. At home some take forever to download. I'm assuming Matthew has uploaded large files because I can sit here for minutes and not see anything in full. Our electricity threatened to go off this morning, so I'm just grateful to still have a connection to the outside world... :)
Ah sorry for the trouble Lesley. Did you try the flickr links as well? Silly technology being uncooperative!

I like #s 2 and 3 especially. 2 because it just seems so late-afternoon-dying-light-ish, and 3 because of the must that has settled in the valley. And then there is the added one at the end, which I like for the intense yellow-orange sky behind the silhouetted trees. There could be a forest fire back there. Excellent!
Thanks Brian!

wow, some stunners in there for sure. great way to introduce yourself, haha.
Thanks Beth, it was a tough choice between this or a mirror selfie haha

Back