Critique Required Lousy image or is there something about it

John Allen

I can't decide whether this photo has any redeeming features or if it is simply a lousy shot. To give you an idea of how I feel about it, I wasn't even willing to put it on flicker to share here.

japanesemag.jpg

Is this the first of your RB67?
Why, because you'll give me a break if it is? :) This is from a digital camera. I haven't gotten the light seals replaced on the RB67 yet. Soon, probably later today, so first shots will likely be tomorrow then they have to be sent in for developing. I did take test shots with the three 35mm cameras that just got new light seals. That film will be sent in with the first roll from the Mamiya. I'm getting anxious.

Here's a better shot of the same flowering tree. It's a bit more in focus. What I like about the first photo is the way there is some balance between the empty space and the buds. I'm pretty sure I gave some thought to the composition, so there must be something about it that I thought I'd like.

Yes, the second one I find much better than the first. I like it: sharp subject, with a nice backdrop with the oof branches. The first has too little of a subject, no resting point for my eyes....

The second is a fine shot and I like the tones etc but there is something about the arrangement in the first that holds they eye. If fact I find it slightly more compelling that the second but I cannot quite put my finger in why. I might be about the pattern.

The second is a fine shot and I like the tones etc but there is something about the arrangement in the first that holds they eye. If fact I find it slightly more compelling that the second but I cannot quite put my finger in why. I might be about the pattern.
There's just something about that first image. I wish I could figure it out so I could repeat it in a better image. I can't figure out if it is the way the image is composed, the softness of the focus, the bland grey look, or something else. There is something about it that appeals to me, but I don't understand why.

For me the OOF gives the first a hint of a breeze blowing. It certainly has some appeal.
Thanks, Brian. There is something about this image that stops me from deleting it. Someone else said basically the same thing the other day about one of his images. It's frustrating to know there is something there and yet be unable to recognize it. Maybe I'm just nuts. :confused:

I'm not seeing it myself - I would have hit the delete button. Sorry :oops:

I'm not seeing it myself - I would have hit the delete button. Sorry :oops:
Nothing to be sorry about. I should have probably deleted that the first time I looked at it. I've spent far too much time trying to convince myself there is something there.

Back