Critique Welcomed Mamiyamax Greatest Hits 2023

Wes Hall

Following what appears to have been an age since I've been on here, I'm in a clear enough mind to actually contribute some photos from this time in the wilds. I'm not going to waffle on about these, but rather show what I've been up to with my film photography and particularly the Mamiya C3 and Olympus OM-1.
Sisters Swinging Sun RPF.jpg
Yellow Station Yellow CoatRPF.jpgRadioactive BuildingRPF.jpgBustlingRPF.jpgEnvy Watches RPF.jpgPrimo Shot RPF.jpgRPF.jpgDune Cross RPF.jpg

Interesting shots, Wes (and welcome back!). I like the C3 and do own one although @Paul Lange has mine still - must get it back sometime.

I do like those low angle shots. Are they with the 55mm? And I also really like the dream-like first shot - almost psychedelic (like a 60s version of Alice in Wonderland). I also really like the way the disco / laser light has created the pattern on the shot of the wedding reception and the inclusion of the other photographer in the shot of the happy couple. And I love the dystopian beach scenes! Have you ever read Vermillion Sands by JG Ballard?

1, 5, 7 & 8 for me are wonderful. The psychedelic eye around the guy on the right in no.5 oddly makes his grin look slightly evil, and I'm wondering what he has in store for the happy couple?!
The second-last would be perfect for the cover off Vermillion Sands...

Hi Wes. I find the last two to be particularly interesting.
I'm not going to waffle on about these
Please waffle on about the last two. For example, what film? Where? Why the orange tone (which I love in these pictures, by the way)? Also I'd love to know what inspired you to take a picture of the pile of rocks. It works very well but I can only imagine myself walking past that pile and not giving it a second thought, let alone a frame out of my roll. Was it the juxtaposition of the rocks and the crossed shadow that compelled you? (Whatever it was it was an inspired compulsion.)

Interesting shots, Wes (and welcome back!). I like the C3 and do own one although @Paul Lange has mine still - must get it back sometime.

I do like those low angle shots. Are they with the 55mm? And I also really like the dream-like first shot - almost psychedelic (like a 60s version of Alice in Wonderland). I also really like the way the disco / laser light has created the pattern on the shot of the wedding reception and the inclusion of the other photographer in the shot of the happy couple. And I love the dystopian beach scenes! Have you ever read Vermillion Sands by JG Ballard?
Thank you Pete, it's lovely to be back- time really has a habit towards the mercurial.

That laser disco effect image is one of my favourites from that wedding - I was helped by having a rainbow halo filter on the OM-1 I was using. The sinister look the guest had (I'm certain because of the lighting and no other reason) made me feel I'd seen a hidden face of envy.

I've not read Vermilion Sands Pete, I'll have a look into it- I'd just finished the first 3 Dune books when I shot the last two beech scenes; certainly influenced!

1, 5, 7 & 8 for me are wonderful. The psychedelic eye around the guy on the right in no.5 oddly makes his grin look slightly evil, and I'm wondering what he has in store for the happy couple?!
The second-last would be perfect for the cover off Vermillion Sands...
You see as I see it Rob, there's something uncanny in his grin...

Two for Vermillion Sands, I'll definitely have to look into this novel.

Hi Wes. I find the last two to be particularly interesting.

Please waffle on about the last two. For example, what film? Where? Why the orange tone (which I love in these pictures, by the way)? Also I'd love to know what inspired you to take a picture of the pile of rocks. It works very well but I can only imagine myself walking past that pile and not giving it a second thought, let alone a frame out of my roll. Was it the juxtaposition of the rocks and the crossed shadow that compelled you? (Whatever it was it was an inspired compulsion.)
Thanks Brian, as you request I'll expand 😁.

You nailed it with the cross shadow - I was struck by the ominous hard edges overlaying the exposed rocks and saw a composition. As I mentioned above, I'd been exploring Dune and Mr Herbert's vision of a desert planet was fresh in my mind's eye.

The film was my last roll of Santa Colour 100, cross processed in E6 as I wanted to see the results as a positive. I edited the tone based on the above feeling of a captured oppression from the novel Dune. I'm quite the fan of tonal direction in my photos these days, and aim to experiment with this more moving forward. The wedding shots are all on the same film stock, but the hues were more red leaning naturally. The location is then nearby seaside of Morecambe.

The street shots were 1989 expired Ektachrome 100, amazed how well they developed and testament to the lab.

Thanks Brian, as you request I'll expand 😁.

You nailed it with the cross shadow - I was struck by the ominous hard edges overlaying the exposed rocks and saw a composition. As I mentioned above, I'd been exploring Dune and Mr Herbert's vision of a desert planet was fresh in my mind's eye.

The film was my last roll of Santa Colour 100, cross processed in E6 as I wanted to see the results as a positive. I edited the tone based on the above feeling of a captured oppression from the novel Dune. I'm quite the fan of tonal direction in my photos these days, and aim to experiment with this more moving forward. The wedding shots are all on the same film stock, but the hues were more red leaning naturally. The location is then nearby seaside of Morecambe.

The street shots were 1989 expired Ektachrome 100, amazed how well they developed and testament to the lab.
Thanks for waffling on in detail, Wes. Much appreciated. Never heard of "Santa Colour" film. Must look it up.

I completely overlooked answering your question Pete! They are indeed shot with the 55mm- a gem of a lens and a nice gift from my partner at Christmas.

Thank you Chris, I do feel I had thoughts of Lewis Carroll's works in my mind as I shot- the harsh sunlight added to the dream like scene.

Back