Mave On The Move - Checking In

David M. Byrne

RPF Community,

You’ve probably seen my name about but let me formally introduce myself… and explain why I’m doing so. In a nutshell I’m a balding, mid-30’s(+) Irishman who likes to take photos & travel. Simple. I’ve been lucky enough to see what I would class as a nice bit of the world… with a bit more to come. As I type this I’m sitting in Incheon International Airport, South Korea, waiting to board a flight out of the country. I’ve spent the last 3 years in this country working - quite unexpectedly - in HR & project management, neither of which I’m qualified in. It has been an eventful 3 years, but nowhere near as eventful as the last four days which saw me packing what consists of my life right now into 4 cardboard boxes, one 60-litre backpack & one Lowpro Compuday Photo 250 daypack. It’s almost midnight, my round-the-houses flight to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur leaves in 1 hour & when I get there sometime tomorrow (I hope) I’ll be starting out on an open-ended trip, one with no specific itinerary or timeframe. It’s a trip that I’m looking forward to capturing digitally (boy am I ever) & sharing with you all on RPF. I’m been a member of this community since last year. Not a very active member admittedly but a member nonetheless. It didn’t take me long after joining to know that this was my kind of place and somewhere I’d like to contribute more actively to. I thus mentioned this trip to Hamish and muted the idea of sharing it here. Hamish was receptive, very much so (& generally seems like a nice enough chap).

logo.png

So here I am. I’m not quite sure what I’ll be submitting here or how often. Starting out I envision maybe an entry a week with some of my favourite captures of the week with pertinent shot information (what I was aiming for, the approach, maybe some background on the scene etc.). I don’t really know to be honest – I’ll be making it up as I go along, which is pretty much how I live life. I hope that whatever I post here is received well by the community & that it’s seen as a valuable contribution to the site. Of course I’d love all and any feedback received - let me know what you think, what you’d like to see or any general ramblings my entries may entice out of you. Let’s see what happens.

Ok, they are calling my flight. Best be off. I’ll check-in again from Thailand before the week is out.

Ps: If you want to keep an updated check on my location you may do so here, on the Travel page of my personal photography blog here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one David - so jealous, sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

Looking forward to seeing where the future takes you - and what you shoot :)

Hi David. I'm looking at your Flickr sets - man, you get around! I hate travel, even getting the bus into town. But I do love looking at photos of places I'll never get to. Very much looking forward to your contributions here!

Safe Travels indeed
Thank you again for wanting to share you journey with us, as I have said many times I have been looking forward to this for a while now, so I can only begin to imagine how exciting it must be for you!
Good luck, keep in touch and I hope it is as enjoyable as it sounds it will be!

... David, when you get a chance.
If you want to blog this post on RPF, go ahead, this will make a perfect first entry
Dont worry to much about getting it to look right etc, I will go in and tweak it for you ... you can pretty much just click "blog this post" and save and ill do the rest for now!
just let me know when your done :)

edit
I have sorted your avatar for you
Promoted this thread to an article
and created the travel photography category in features for you
all as promised!

Ps. just watched the clock on your site tick over to 1 day... I hope everything is going to plan so far! ;)

Last edited:
Back