My Cheap As Chips Entry

Brian Moore

My Cheap As Chips Camera is a Konica Autoreflex TC with a Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.7 lens.

I bought the camera through the "Goodwill Industries" auction. Goodwill is a charitable organization here in the US that is nationwide and has hundreds of stores. They also have an online auction. I won this camera for $11.50. It was pretty grungy, which I didn't know until I picked it up (it looked OK in its online auction photo). Worst of all, the lens had some residue that appeared very much like corrosion of some kind or algae. However, to my delight it cleaned off nicely. Cameras through Goodwill are usually untested so I didn't know if the camera worked either. However, it did, although I had to shoot without a meter since the batteries were long since deceased.

I shot a test roll--I used some cheap color film for that--and the camera worked well, although the glass seemed to produce soft images. For the challenge I shot Ilford Delta 100. I was lucky with the price on the film, as my camera shop sold it to me for $3.99. (I think he had it priced as 120 film.)

My three entry photos were all taken at The Getty Center in Los Angeles on December 31.

After shooting the roll I processed the Delta 100 in Rodinal.

Below is the camera and the empty film canister, along with a filter that I put on the camera because it didn't come with a lens cap.

CheapAsChipsCam.jpg

Here are my three entries:

The Getty at Sundown (30 second exposure at f5.6. I balanced the camera ona wall to steady it)
KonicaTCDelta100--034.jpg

River of Light (Another 30 second f5.6 exposure. And again I had the camera on a wall for steadiness.)
KonicaTCDelta100--037.jpg

Ethereal Boy (30 seconds at f2.8 I think. Camera on the ground to steady it.)
KonicaTCDelta100--033.jpg

Nicely done sir! :)

Looks like it cleaned up very nicely Brian - do you use anything particular to clean old cameras?

Loving the ethereal nature of the three shots you've chosen - the bright regions of the frame, along with some flare/bleed, really add a mystical touch.

Assume that's 405 in shot #2? Weird reflection in the sky!

Great location - I love the building but am mostly unimpressed with the art it contains! :D

And all without a tripod - exceptional!

Thanks very much, Chris.

anything particular to clean old cameras?
I just used a soft cloth on the body. For the lens I used some lens cleaning fluid and lens cleaning tissues.

Assume that's 405 in shot #2? Weird reflection in the sky!
Correct,...it's the 405 looking toward the south. I'm sure you're familiar with that tall round building. That's where Wilshire Boulevard and the 405 meet. The buildings on the left center in the distance are in the Wilshire District I do believe. The illuminated building up the hill on the right is part of the Getty. We were among the last to leave that night and instead of taking the little train down the hill we walked. This photo is taken from a vantage point about half way down. That weird reflection in the sky took me by surprise. I wonder if its due to light bouncing off between the lens and the filter?

unimpressed with the art
I would agree in some ways. Although when I have gone to the Getty in the past it was to see the illuminated manuscripts. This time they had some wonderful art by Degas, Monet, and others, including Van Gogh's "Irises." However, the main reason we went this time was to see the Lyonel Feininger photography exhibit.

Thanks again Chris!

Wonderful Brian!
Lovely lighting and feel that really brings the three images together into a set!
I really need to get cracking with mine don't I?!!

Have you worked out what the reflection in the sky is? Odd one that!!

Thanks a lot, Hamish.

Have you worked out what the reflection in the sky is? Odd one that!!
At first I thought it was lights from a plane, but it's much to big for that, plus I've never seen a plane make such a radical bend above the LA sky. (LAX isn't too far along there. Radical manuevres are forbidden I'm sure.) I think that light in the sky may be a reflection bouncing off the lens and off the filter and then onto the film. The curve, albeit it in the opposite direction from the lights of the motorway, seems to be similar in shape, and that's why I think that. Wish I knew for sure.

Yeah, that's my assumption ...
Certainly add something to the image rather than taking something away in my opinion!!

Aliens - clearly!

Cloaked craft maneuvering over LA, revealed by a storm of solar radiation - nicely captured :)

Back