New Android app Saulala

Stevenson Gawen

I don't know how many keen phone camera users we have here... and in my case I usually prefer to post process on the PC anyway.
But this new-ish app definitely caught my interest. :)
It's basically a DNG developer for Android... and in some ways the first alternative to Lr Mobile for this use case.

It apparently uses the AGx technology originally developed (I think) for motion picture grading. Basically it's a certain method of highlight handling that aims to give a more natural and 'filmic' look. Regardless of the pros/cons of this specifically it does do a nice job.

One just shoots with the normal phone camera app in whatever the mode that saves DNGs is called ('Pro' plus a menu option on my Nokia) then after shooting open the app and import the file.

It is limited in some ways but definitely decent, maybe with an emphasis on a sort-of-film-emulation look but enough options to cater for quite a few styles.

Anyway... it's free! Just thought I'd share it here.
IMG_20240621_160438_Sol_240625-small.jpg

IMG_20240622_155755_Sol_240625-small.jpg

I had a play with Saulala a few months ago. I found that it was easy to do edits that looked quite good on the phone. If I transferred the images to my computer, I wasn't so happy with the way they looked on the larger screen. But that's not unique to Saulala...I think phone pics generally don't survive the trip to the large screen so well.

Back