New forum Area

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I know we have recently pruned down a lot of forum areas, but we have been chatting behind the scenes today and decided it might be nice to have somewhere we can post info on good locations etc.
after all, its all well and good being able to take photos, but finding places to take them is another matter ...
so, here is the forum area to talk about such things ...

obviously, if we could keep it to places that don't involve trespassing that would be great!

Great Idea "H" was just wondering is Google Maps able to work in conjunctions with this features so these places of interest can be easily located on a Map or maybe pinned on.

This may be easier for stunning landscapes locations which maybe a little difficult to locate. Worcester cathedral for example cant be missed, head to Worcester & look above sky line............ Hey presto...........

Just a thought

Daz

Great idea Hamish, and great idea Darren - A forum Google Map would be a great resource!

LIGHT PAINTING!!!!! oh...... Okay... Erm....... Just for me then? Hahaha!! Great idea with the maps!! Be good to know where the pictures are taken. :)

Hamish - looks like Google Maps will allow you to start a Map, and have it be edited either by invitees, or in fact by anyone at all if you check the right box.

hows this

go advanced and click this button

maps.gif

then copy the link from google maps where it says "Paste link in email or IM" under this link drop down inside the map bb code like this

[ MAPS]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=worcester+cathederal&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.650964,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=worcester+cathederal&hnear=&ll=52.188845,-2.220308&spn=0.00107,0.00284&t=h&z=19&iwloc=A[/MAPS]

which should give you this (notice i added a space between the word maps and the first square bracket to demo)

[MAPS]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=worcester+cathederal&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.650964,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=worcester+cathederal&hnear=&ll=52.188845,-2.220308&spn=0.00107,0.00284&t=h&z=19&iwloc=A[/MAPS]

obviously this also works by just typing the [ maps][/maps] code ... but we have a button for neatness :)

the maps are fully interactive if you click on them and work with google earth once you have installed it ... the word you are looking for is genius
(unfortunately its not me that is the genius ... its a hack from vb.org :) still ... i found it, and got it working and edited the code to make it the right size etc ... so that at least makes me quite clever i reckon ;)

That looks great! Genius in fact! LOL

So should we have a custom RPF Google Map which we all add our locations to?

Well, you can build collaborative maps in Google Maps, which anyone can edit - but when I link that into the forum, it shoes up as a blank map. :(

Stumped at this point.

May have to just do the link that Hamish demoed, and show each location as a separate entity.

Back