New - Fuji FinePix X100

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
PHOTOKINA 2010, COLOGNE, GERMANY, September 20, 2010 - FUJIFILM Corporation is pleased to announce the new FinePix X100, a high-grade digital compact camera featuring an APS-C CMOS sensor, a Fujinon 23mm fixed focal length lens and a newly developed Hybrid Viewfinder, due for commercial release in early 2011.

The FinePix X100 is aimed at the professional photographer or keen enthusiast looking for exceptional quality pictures from a compact camera. It is designed to appeal to the millions of DSLR users who need a slim back-up camera for high quality in-fill shots when the use of a bigger SLR system is either inconvenient or impractical. Or, of course, it can be used as a professional's only top-end camera, if size and versatility are the primary considerations.

Fujifilm has closely studied the current line-up of professional cameras and feels that there is a strong need for a compact high-quality (APS-C based) camera as a counterpoint to an SLR. Using the experience of working with generations of photographers using famous emulsions like Velvia, Provia, Astia etc., Fujifilm engineers distilled this knowledge into months of careful study to create the perfect compact-sized professional camera.

The priority for this model is picture quality, so it was decided to make the highest quality possible lens and sensor combination, built from the ground-up. The lens chosen is a fixed, prime F2 lens, made by Fujinon, manufactured to perfectly match the APS-C custom sensor. Added to this is the newly-developed EXR Processor, which combines all the latest image processing technology Fujifilm has technology built up over the years.

Other cameras on the market look to fill the need for the ultimate ‘compact’ professional camera, but the Fujifilm development team believe that, having listened to the marketplace, the FinePix X100 offers a number of technical developments that will set this camera apart from other contenders. The main technologies employed in this camera are as follows:

Hybrid Viewfinder (New Development)

The Hybrid Viewfinder on the FinePix X100 combines the window-type “bright frame” optical viewfinder found in high-end film cameras such as 35mm or medium-format cameras, and the electronic viewfinder system incorporated in fixed single lens or mirrorless digital cameras. By using integrating a prism for the 1,440,000 dot LCD panel image on the viewing screen in the reverse-Galilean optical finder, the Hybrid Viewfinder can show both the shooting frame and a variety of shooting data. Of course, it can also be used as a high-quality electronic viewfinder to compose or playback shots. With this ability to instantly switch between optical and electronic viewfinder images with simple “one touch” control. The new Hybrid Viewfinder offers users expanded freedom in the composition and enjoyment of photography in a range of challenging shooting conditions.

While digital compact cameras have become ever slimmer and more compact in recent years, composing and viewing shots on large, higher resolution LCD panels on the back of the camera has become the mainstream practice for today's users. On the other hand, shooting with an optical viewfinder is the standard practice for conventional film cameras and the preferred method for large numbers of digital camera owners. Many prefer the finder to be as close as possible to the eye so the user can focus attention exclusively on photo composition to get a clear view of the subject without distraction.

While traditionalists prefer the clear, sharp view of an ‘optical’ finder, modern electronic displays, giving data like shutter speed, aperture, white balance, exposure correction and sensitivity can aid the photographer tremendously. The new Hybrid Viewfinder on the FinePix X100 aims to give the user the ‘best of both worlds’.

pic_05.jpg

http://finepix.com/x100/en/top.html

PDF brochure here: http://finepix.com/x100/en/pack/pdf/x100_English_0906.pdf

Last edited:
Looks a very sexy camera IMHO - looks old school and classic, whilst hiding the latest tech inside - nice! :)

Fixed lens though.... not sure if that's a good play with all of the interchangeable releases of late.

Just looked at the Panasonic and Olympus competition - and this camera kills them both on looks - Interesting....

I'm saying $995 list price - real street price around $800 (guess)

Last edited:
23mm F2 Fujinon (Aspherical) Lens

The newly-developed lens offers a focal length of 23mm (135 equivalent: 35mm) and a widest aperture of F2. Made from moulded glass, the lens contains 8 elements in 6 groups.

The adoption of the non-collapsible lens structure with minimized lens length not only contributes to the compact size but also eliminates telescoping of the lens when the power is on. It’s ready to start shooting the moment you turn it on.

Exploiting the merits of fixed focal length lens, this lens delivers sharp resolution of the total image from the centre to the corners. In addition, the lens features not only the large F2 aperture value, but also an optical architecture that maintains a high degree of resolution even when closed by 1 to 2 stops.

The lens uses a 9-blade aperture diaphragm. A large F2 aperture and high-quality optics let users take beautiful photos with a soft out-of-focus (bokeh) effect.

The lens enables macro shooting as close as 10 cm.

Featuring a built-in ND filter (equivalent f-stop reduction of 3), the lens can enhance depth-of-field even in bright shooting conditions by enabling the aperture to be kept wide open. Shutter speed can also be reduced to capture waterfalls, or any shot where intentional blur is required.

X100_top.jpg

Now that's my kind of camera! Thanks for the post Larry it certainly sounds interesting. I guess the AF will be as slow as usual for a compact camera but if the viewfinder is good I may well investigate it to replace my Ricoh GR Digital III. The Ricoh's a nice little camera and capable of very high quality capture but it doesn't have a real viewfinder and the accessory one you can buy doesn't really compensate. If the Fuji shows useful information in the viewfinder and is similar in size (it's probably about 30% bigger by the look of it) then I will be sorely tempted. Had toyed with popping into Photokine but there didn't seem to be anything particularly exiting. I should have looked closer!

If it will also work in full auto mode, I want one, now!

It appears to have full aperture priory, shutter priority, program and manual. The limitation is that it requires shoe-leather zoom. I expect it will produce the fine image quality that an APS-C sensor can produce, including good low light quality. A nice compact camera to carry everywhere. I currently use the Fuji REAL 3D W1 in that role. Pocket sized and amazingly good, plus it shoots 3D stereo images.

For 2D and serious low light shooting, I also have the Nikon D700. However, there are times I would like a small camera capable of superb image quality - with high mobility. I have been looking at the µ4/3 cameras, but this one is going to definitely be on the short list.

Now that's my kind of camera! Thanks for the post Larry it certainly sounds interesting. I guess the AF will be as slow as usual for a compact camera but if the viewfinder is good I may well investigate it to replace my Ricoh GR Digital III. The Ricoh's a nice little camera and capable of very high quality capture but it doesn't have a real viewfinder and the accessory one you can buy doesn't really compensate. If the Fuji shows useful information in the viewfinder and is similar in size (it's probably about 30% bigger by the look of it) then I will be sorely tempted. Had toyed with popping into Photokine but there didn't seem to be anything particularly exiting. I should have looked closer!

This one was announced just hour or so ago. In the next few days, I expect that the best of Photokina will be announced.

Clearly this is not a mass market product. I think that the equivalent of 35mm is about ideal for a walkin'-'round, shootin'-stuff camera, but many are lured by 24× zooms. My Fuji REAL 3D W1 is a stereo camera that has a 35-105mm equivalent zoom, but other than a few test shots, I mostly shoot it at the 35mm equivalent and wish for more wide-angle capability. Of course, this is a stereo camera, and longer focal lengths tend to flatten perspective.

My objectivity is somewhat compromised by its design. It looks too much like the rangefinder cameras I have used - linked to the images they have produced. I generally regarded view-cameras and SLRs as my meat-on-the-table cameras, and rangefinders my personal-photography instruments. I admit there was a "Yeah!!" when I saw the pictures. The Epson R1 and the Leicas just did not evoke the same visceral reaction. I expect in the cold light of dawn, this one will cool too.

None the less, one can do a whole lot of great photography with an APS-C sensor and a 35mm equivalent lens. Unless it is priced like the Leica X1, I will definitely give it some serious consideration. It has the potential for being a decent alternative for casual work providing great mobility and decent low light shooting.

Somehow µ4/3 doesn't do it for me. I have a Leica M9 for those times when a discrete RF is useful (this feels and works just like a Leica should compared with the M8) and use a D3 when I want a DSLR or need good low-light performance. I still shoot a lot of B&W film up to 5x4 (and uses PhaseOne backs when I want digital captuire at larger formats). But I still like to have a small P&S to stick in my pocket. The Ricoh is very good but a larger sensor would be nice. I looked at the Sigma DP1(s) but it seemed too flawed and I already had experience with Ricoh's film GR and the GR Digital II. I once had a Fuji P&S and it proved to be a nice performing camera (the Prague series was shot with it) but it was a little bulky and not as high a resolution as I would have liked. So, as I said, this new Fuji looks like it might 'push all the right buttons' especially as it has an optical / hybrid VF.

i have merged these threads and made chris's the leading article on the home page ... hope thats ok with everyone, it seemed daft having 2 threads discussing the same thing.

i for one am impressed with fujis decision to make a camera like this and hope others will follow suit... although i somehow doubt many will
it looks like a perfect alternative to the overly complicated m43 cameras ... just a shame (but understandable) that they didnt make it an interchangeable lens system

Thanks Hamish. Good idea, as I had missed Chis's earlier post. Compatibility with M-series lenses would be nice I suppose although I quite like the discipline of a fixed single lens sometimes. I wouldn't want to have to buy into another new series of lenses and a P&S with a single lens is what I want to complememt my others systems. A simple, manual-capable, single -ens, non-zoom camera is fine by me. It would be great if they adopted DNG as well but somehow I suspect it will be proprietary raw as usual with Fuji.

they would be daft to launch another proprietary lens system in what is fast becoming a crowded market anyway.
i only bought my gf1 for the 20mm 1.7 pancake lens... i only have the zoom lens for hannah to use when she wants to use a digital camera... fixed focal length lenses dont seem to suit her for some reason....
this fuji could be the camera to replace my gf1... id love something with a more "traditional" feel to its functionality with some of the mod cons... its why i loved my r-d1 ... i just cant afford to get it fixed/even know of anywhere that can fix them...

Yep - expect so, based on the usual Dollar/Pound rip-off ratio :(

DSC00569.jpg

Last edited:
... I'm so pleased this camera is causing a good bit of stir about the web, I hope it is down to genuine interest and not just gimmick factor... There needs to be a bit of a return to traditional functionality of cameras with the likes of Sony pulling the oposite way with features such as "background defocus" ... Or apeture priority as the rest of us would call it...

Back