New - Fuji FinePix X100

Was an early member of dpreview before Phil sold to Amazon.

I was active in the UK doing motorsports photography, and Phil needed long canon lenses and some fast moving subjects to test a certain Canon body for his review.

Never even thought how big the site might get, or how much it might become worth to Amazon!

Doh!!

Hmm, It is certainly unusual... I'd be interested to hear how it came about ... Or how staged the image is... There is something odd about it... Does no one else see the oddness?

I see what you mean Hamish but there is often something a bit odd to the Western eye about photos taken by keen amateurs and 'half working' professionals from places like Japan, Korea etc. I have a colleague in Japan who is a part-time wedding photographer and his pictures have a similar look about them.

Update arrived today from the folks at Fuji!

http://inx.myfinepix.com/html_mail.jsp?params=254546+chris%40dodkin.com+0+oy0q00gt00000rpv

Focus options are revealed:

focussing-revealed.jpg

RAW functionality is explained:

raw-explained.jpg

Questions on pricing are not answered!

Q:
How much will the X100 cost?

Price is still to be confirmed

Follow the link for more details and further info links to the Fuji X100 website

I was thinking that... I'd rather have a iso dial than an exposure compo dial... But hey-ho still looks bloody lovely ...
The Fn button is apparently iso as standard, so it will only be one button and a dial to change it ...

Been following this with interest.

The camera looks lovely and I expect image quality will be very good, but speaking as more of a camera layman than many on here I can't quite see a compact with a (probable) £1000 price tag and no zoom capability selling in any quantity...?

I think it's aimed at people like me :) - people who like using film cameras or cameras that are designed with traditional functionality in mind
The large aps-c sized sensor - as big as that in most of your SLR's, many times the size of that in a canon g12 has advantages in image quality because of it's size. It also has the advantage of being able to provide te user with DOF - somthing that most compacts lack!
The fixed fujinon lens will no doubt be excellent and in fact I rarely use zoom lenses out side of work - I only have the 14-45 for the gf1 for when Hannah uses it, I just use the 20 1.7
Tim, I think you would be suprised just how many they will sell, they have sat them selves very nicely in leica digital m territory and they sell just fine at £3k - £20k body only! There is definatly a market for this sort of thing and I personally think fuji are very clever getting into it ... It's probably not a money making exercise just showing what they can do .... Like how Cossina/Epson did with the Epson r-d1, just seemingly a bit more grand scale.

I really don't think you can compare it to the g12 mark, there are similaritys for sure - compacts aimed at pros... But I would have though the quality would be a different league... At least, it should be unless fuji get somthing really wrong!

I know you cant compare the sensor size etc, just commenting on the controls of the new fuji :)

Nothing will ever be perfect as if a manufacturer ever released something perfect everyone would buy it and then keep it for years...
Manufacturers need to keep people on the upgrade treadmill.

I have to say, I think fuji have attempted to make future "classic" digital camera ...
There is always an upgrade, but certain cameras do stand out as classics in my mind...
Most of them are of course film, but now the digital sensor has got to the quality it has there is no reason digital cameras can't now do the same ...
Take the Ricoh GR1 - 28mm 2.8 35mm film camera - still highly sought after because of it's excellent lens etc... There is no reason that this new fuji couldn't end up being like that ... It's not like fuji arent capable of creating such classics ... the f30!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yup, just bought a D7000 for a friend, about to get a big printer as soon as my dealer receives it, and this little camera looks more and more tempting. The camera store should throw me a party or something.

I once had a wonderful small rangefinder Konica S3 that had a built-in 35mm f/1.8. Much like an early film version of the X100. A superb tote-everywhere camera. So superb that my ex- claimed it. I really missed that camera...

Back