New - Fuji FinePix X100

I would love a small high quality discreet camera like this for when its not really possible to wonder around with a SLR. The fixed lens being of interest from an image quality point of view. Costly though and although there are cheaper alternative about they don't seem to have viewfinders which makes them next to useless when out on sunny days.

I would love a small high quality discreet camera like this for when its not really possible to wonder around with a SLR. The fixed lens being of interest from an image quality point of view. Costly though and although there are cheaper alternative about they don't seem to have viewfinders which makes them next to useless when out on sunny days.

We will have to wait for the reviews to see how well they have achieved it, but evidently the sensor is specially optimized on the edges and corners to get the most out of this lens. Fuji also claims that this is a top quality prime. It appears that the whole camera will be about the same price as the Zeiss f/2.0 35mm manual focus lens alone, so if the image quality is anywhere close to similar, the price is not outrageous for a complete camera.

I don't think a grand is any where unreasonable... I would have expected more... But good old fuji are known for value... I mean who didn't buy a s5pro when they dropped the price to £500... Crazy fuji, crazy... Good for is punters though

Write up by UK mag AP - Doesn't look like AP's journalist can take good sharp close-up product shots though!

The magazine is "Amateur Photographers", and the current big buzzword with amateurs is "bokeh" - use a super-fast lens wide-open to blur as much as possible, with just a tiny bit in focus. Coo over the shape and smoothness of the out-of-focus blobs. Very artsy. Limited depth of field also justifies the price of ultra-fast lenses for camera-buffs who wear them as jewelery. All very important in this segment and highly encouraged by those who manufacture and sell lenses.

To photographers, it is just as you say - out of focus.

;)

Larry larry larry, you don't half have issue with these fast lenes... Some of us are actually just quite arty farty and like a dof as thin as hair...

I don't think a grand is any where unreasonable... I would have expected more... But good old fuji are known for value... I mean who didn't buy a s5pro when they dropped the price to £500... Crazy fuji, crazy... Good for is punters though

In film days, my favorite travel/street camera was a Plaubel Makina 67. As compact as a big camera could be with a retractable 80mm f/2.8 Nikon lens. The lens was roughly equivalent to a 40mm on a 35mm camera - similar to this. The camera was highly mobile as was the shooter. Completely self contained, hang it around your neck and stuff a few rolls in your pockets. If the building more than fills the frame, step back. If the subject is too small, step forward. Great perspective, and you get needed exercise as well.

I see this in the same role. A compact, high image quality walkin'-'round, shootin'-stuff camera. Serendipitous photography. Certainly for planned shoots, I will haul the D700 and its arsenal of lenses. This looks like my ideal camera for carry-anywhere all the time, assuming that image quality at least approaches the potential that Fuji claims.

That's exactly the point of the out of focus bits... They make a point o the in focus bits...
A smooth bokeh is good as it doesn't draw attention to it's self ...
People do get carried away a bit, I do know what larry is talking about ... People do harp on about bokeh to much.. like I said before, to me it's just a tool ... A tool to highlight the important part of the picture

I know!

EXIF data has the right model, lens etc, but could be faked I guess.

Cameras are placed in shooters hands for testing in the field. Just as with software testers, non-disclosure agreements are signed. Thus no image can be be posted before the camera is officially announced. Once it is announced as the X100 has been, the NDA is over. The DPReview site generally posts whether its samples were shot with a production or pre-production model.

I see... Surely that would mean there would all of a sudden be a whole load of photos cropping up though?...
I don't specifically doubt the photo is genuine, I'm just questioning it... It is still an odd photo

I've provided Phil Askey at DPReview with lenses to help him test new Pre-release bodies. So I know it happens, but usually not as a random posting on Flickr.

Doesn't mean it's not real though, someone is out there beta testing this camera.

Hmm, It is certainly unusual... I'd be interested to hear how it came about ... Or how staged the image is... There is something odd about it... Does no one else see the oddness?

How did ou get to be providing Phil askey with lenses?
See if you can get us a mention on there ;)

Back