New low-end X Series Camera from Fuji - X-A1

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
First spy shot of the new budget model from Fuji

fujixa1_zps48c05b5f.jpg

Comes courtesy of Fuji Rumors - Fuji Rumors

What you see on the picture is the soon to be announced Fuji X-A1 camera. It will be the new entry level X-mount camera. Unlike the X-M1, it won’t have an X-Trans sensor (and also not the X100 sensor), will come in a lot of colours and will be sold by big retailers on the web and big general stores.

Looks like this will fill out the low cost end and get additional X-Series lens sales into the system - providing a migration path to the higher-end models.

I'll have a pink one please! ;)

Thanks for sharing Chris. Having watched Digital Rev's video on the X-M1 I'm less excited than I was hoping to be!

I really like my X10, and for the amount of photography I do, I am seriously considering selling my somewhA unremarkable collection of DSLR kit and buying an X100. I was kind of hoping the XM1 would be a little more solid, it seems from what DR said about it, it's not the most solid bit of kit :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing Chris. Having watched Digital Rev's video on the X-M1 I'm less excited than I was hoping to be!

I really like my X10, and for the amount of photography I do, I am seriously considering selling my somewhA unremarkable collection of DSLR kit and buying an X100. I was kind of hoping the XM1 would be a little more solid, it seems from what DR said about it, it's not the most solid bit of kit :rolleyes:
Hs reviews are always good theater, he slammed the X-Pro1 when it came out I remember

I'd advise getting some second opinions, or even getting a hands-on at a store to make a true call on a new camera

I don't find it the least bit exciting, but I do see it as a functional photographic solution that will yield reasonable reward to investment.

1. It is as small as an APS-C camera can be, and coupled to an articulated monitor, will be extraordinarily stealthy for street. With the 60mm, it will also be ideal for macro on location.

2. Image quality should match my X-Pro1 since both use the X-Trans sensor.

3. They share a lens mount so I can work with both if the shoot lends itself to that sort of efficiency.

4. When purchased with the body, the 16-50mm is just $100US more. The lens without the body is $400US. It uses a lot of composite materials in the mount, so is relatively light. However, early tests show it to be Fujinon sharp. An aperture range of f/3.5-5.6 will also contribute to its lightness—it is in fact substantially lighter than my 60mm prime. With a field of view equivalent to a 24mm to 76mm on full-frame, it is a highly useful range when traveling light. The lens will also be very useful on the X-Pro1.

So, even if it does not set my heart aflutter, I expect I will find ample practical use for it.

Back