While Gallantly Leading
In The
Charge Of Fort Craig
Aged 26 Years

[Confederate Sign]

Sponsored by Murfreesboro SCV Camp
Tennessee

Confed1 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr
I mislead you in a previous thread, as I thought it was a commemoration stone for all Scots who had died fighting on the Confederate side of the Civil War. But, I was in a hurry yesterday. A little more time today...

Smith is not a particularly Scottish name, especially for the 1860s, and I had been assuming there would be a clan connection. - mind you, Smith is a very large clan!

Young lad too. Poor sod. One of 4,862 casualties that day... He has his own Wiki Page.

Info on the battle HERE - note that the inscription misspells the name of the battle, which should read Munfordville.

Was his final moment like this, I wonder?

300px-Battle_of_Munfordville.jpg

Last edited:
Extremely fascinating, Rob! Thank you for going back and providing the updated information. I really appreciate it.

wasn't it a confederate Scot who started the KKK?

I wouldn't be surprised. Even the great Robert Burns was prepared to become a "slave driver" if his first book of poems didn't sell. He even had his passage to Jamaica booked. A man's a man for a' that, as long as he's no black...

On the other hand, many Scots did good things for the anti-slavery movement, and, of course, many Scots fought for the North during the Civil war. It's a complicated story.

I once told the novelist, James Robertson, about a black slave of a Dundonian sugar planter, called Joseph Knight, which might interest you Dundonians. The plantation owner decided to retire and come home to Dundee, and he brought his man-servant slave, Joseph Knight, with him. After a while, Joseph asked for his freedom, and the Laird refused it. After a couple of years, Joseph fell in love with, and secretly married, a local white girl. He then claimed that he was now a free man. The Laird said he wasn't, and eventually the case came to the Court of Dundee. The judge found in favour of the Laird - at which point the citizens of Dundee rose up, created a tumult, and as a consequence the trial was set again for the High Court in Edinburgh. This time Joseph won his freedom.

It's a wonderful story, and to my surprise and delight, James Robertson did indeed write a novel based on the story., and here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Knight-James-Robertson/dp/0007150253/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352318329&sr=8-1 - note that it is one of those "Look Inside" amazon books. If you do look inside, you will see my name on the Aknowledgements page :)

James found all the original court records, and wove them into a fascinating historical novel, well worth reading. Have a read of the amazon reviews...

Last edited:
the fair minded nature of dundonians comes to the fore again

What a wonderful set of stories Rob, and you should press the author for a share of the royalties - I've just ordered a copy! ;) And also a fine photo. I like the monochrome version best but do miss the colour of the flag (what a contradiction that is!). I'd be tempted to create muted version by layering a mono version with the colour and allowing just a hint of colour through, like a hand-tented B&W print. What do you think?

I'm hoping he gets a Holywood film deal!

I like both the colour and black and white versions. Maybe they will work together, as you mention. I'll give it a try.

B&W is marvellous as is the story.
(There's always a few rotten apples in every nations basket thankfully plenty of yummy apples).

I wonder how the photo would look with just the flag in colour. I dont know how to do selective colour in aperture nor lightroom (too lazy to look it up).

EDIT : Celtic 2 Barcelona 1

Last edited:
(There's always a few rotten apples in every nations basket thankfully plenty of yummy apples).

I wonder how the photo would look with just the flag in colour. I dont know how to do selective colour in aperture nor lightroom (too lazy to look it up).

it's very easy in aperture, you literally turn it B&W then use the eraser tool to remove the B&W over the desired area

What a result for the Bhoys! Lisbon here we come! Oh wait,...that was 44 years ago.

Back