Newbie in Sussex

Hi guys
I'm Andy from Sussex
Just purchased a Sony RX100 M4 and I'm looking to learn how to use a lot of its vast array of functions.
I will be doing mainly glamour shots with my model wife
Can anyone recommend a day crash course for idiots who want to take a camera off intelligent auto? Ideally course in the South?
Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy, and welcome to RPF. I'm not familiar with any courses in Sussex, but I'm sure there are some. However, I'm also sure we can help you get to grips with the camera and off the auto modes.

I have used the RX100 series for a while now as a 'always with me' camera and they perform very well indeed. I have the V at present, but had a I, II and III (the I must be around somewhere, the II died - I keep meaning to send it off the Sony - and my other half has the III).

I have mine set to record raw files, I have the ISO set to manual, focus in centre spot (as with metering) and shoot either in Aperture Priority or Manual modes. I nearly always use the viewfinder these days as I can't focus the screen without my reading glasses on any more! I rarely use flash and, if I do, I will usually bounce it off something by tilting the head back with my finger.

How do you plan to edit the images you take?

Hi Pete
Thanks for your info and the message
This is all VERY new to me so i re-emphasise, I am a complete newbie to anything other than literally point and click.
I have downloaded iMovie for the vid i will do and need to check out YouTube for training on that.
Re stills, not sure to be honest. Advice would be appreciated
Regards
Andy

In East Grinstead.
I have to admit, it was a case of checking out Amazon reviews re choice of a camera.
I am pretty pleased with the choice though and a lot of people have said its a very good camera

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a Sussex boy (Steyning) too, but have lived in the north for a lot of years.

Just a thought, perhaps you could contact a local camera club / photographic society. They may have a member who does a bit of teaching or may know someone who does.
A quick check of Google finds one close to you...
Link: https://www.egcc.org.uk/home/

Greetings Andy.

I too am in Sussex, near Eastbourne. My favourite subjects are the coast and the South Downs, I get some fresh air and exercise too.
I must admit to often using intelligent auto myself. I suspect cameras are getting so clever these days they are smarter than me. :D

Sorry, I do not know of any courses in this area. The great thing about digital is that the cost per image is almost nothing, so you can experiment with 100s of shot to see what works.

Just a thought. Try switching to apature priority, select the largest apature setting and take a pic. Close the apature one stop and take the same pic again, repeat untill you get to the smallest setting. Compare all the results and see what difference it makes.

Back