Notes From The Top Left Corner

My wife and I joined the Lancaster Photographic Society this evening. They have an interesting range of speakers and events lined up for the year, so it should be good. It was founded in 1889, which I was really surprised at.

I think I have finally admitted to myself that, sometimes I really like to make images that are darker than most. By this, I mean in the "Oh dear, I think you'll find that's under-exposed, old chap" sense, rather than "Whoopee, I've just been promoted to head photographer at the coroner's office".

More importantly, I suppose, I have realised that, actually:
It's OK to do that, because I'm in charge!

So, I have spent a few days embracing that idea somewhat.

I am certainly with you here. For example, the shot of the street with the young man 'lurking' in the doorway would have a completely different, and rather boring, feel if rendered lighter. Here there is an element of menace which transforms it.

I am certainly with you here. For example, the shot of the street with the young man 'lurking' in the doorway would have a completely different, and rather boring, feel if rendered lighter. Here there is an element of menace which transforms it.
Yes, he really does look like he is selecting the next victim, doesn't he? Of course, what I know is that he's just a hard worked, low paid restaurant worker who has nipped out for a sly smoke.

Another lens landed this morning.
Gosh, I do love to capitalise on Ebay sellers who want to make money but are too lazy to compose a decent advert!

This time, it was a Vivitar Series 1 lens, a little 28-105mm zoom with an f/2.8-3.5 maximum aperture. The seller failed to provide decent photos and didn't state the type of mount that it had and provided no other useful information than "condition is used".
Well, I could guess that!!

So, at the end of the auction, only having to contend with one other bid, I came out on top with a staggering bill of £4.20 plus postage to pay.

When it arrived, the first thing that was apparent was the density of this little tinker. It weighs a l-o-t. It appears to be in beautiful condition, having obviously been stored in its lovely square section leather case. The mount is Nikon, something for which I have no adapters to hand, so I can't give it a try until the ones I have bought arrive.

There's not too much info available on the web about this, but from what I can glean, there were several different versions produced and the consensus appears to suggest that mine is one of the better ones. I shall report back when I have been able to try it.

Gosh, that's a very generous offer, Pete.
Thank you, but I have several in that focal range including a Series 1 with a PK mount, so it would probably be a bit greedy of me.

I was out in Lancaster early this evening, killing some time between work and the start of a meeting I had to attend. Beautiful bright, clear, scenes, lit by a low, low sun - it was great for shadow fans!

Tramlines 1.JPG

Chain Link.JPG

Telephone Ex.JPG

Tramlines.JPG

...and for a touch of the golden stuff.

This was the new Vivitar Series 1 lens. My first chance to give it a try. I like it a lot, but there's a problem with the aperture, as it seems to be stuck wide open. My guess is that it needs cleaning, but I'm not 100% sure.

Even so, there's still lots of fun to be had with a lens stuck at f/2.8!

Spider bokeh.JPG

The meeting I went to was with the organising committee of the Lancaster Music Festival. I seem to have somehow fallen into a role as a member of the team of photographers for the events.
Gosh, they are going to be so disappointed!!

Back