Notes From The Top Left Corner

We were supposed to be having a few days away but things changed suddenly and the trip had to be cancelled. The weather is bad and so I've been going through a few things I took earlier this year. I came across these two from a trip to Krakow.

MOCAK.JPG

Jan Matejko.JPG

A couple of Adaptall lenses arrived this week. One, I bought because it was cheap, but unused and still sealed inside its original packaging. It's an 80-210 f/3.8-4.0. Apparently this was the UK's best selling zoom lens and, right enough, there are scores of them floating around on the 2nd hand market, and yes, I have several other lenses of a similar spec, but I was unable to resist this immaculate example.

The other is something I find much more interesting and useful - it's a 35-70 with a constant max. aperture of f/3.5. It was this that I strapped onto the NEX 5 body and sallied forth with.
I took a walk along the Lancaster canal to see what there was to see.

White Cross.JPG

White Cross

Longboat Chicane.JPG

Longboat Chicane

Leafy Reflections.JPG

Leafy Reflections

Arch and Twist.JPG

Arch and Twist

Thanks Pete. I like the last one too. I was trying to convey the twisted perspective caused by the bridge having been built to accommodate a bend in the road that it carries. That didn't come off quite as clearly as I had hoped, but like you, I like the textures. Also I was surprised at how vividly and brightly the almost black water reflects on the dark bricks.

That is a fine set. Love the first one, the dark tones work very well. Has a timeless quality, could have been taken yesterday or 100 years ago. The second one looks familiar, there is a spot with an almost identical view near Camden lock.

Thanks for your thoughts Dave.
Gosh, I haven't been to Camden since I was a teenager when my friend (another Dave) bought an outrageously colourful spotted shirt at the market one Sunday morning. I also seem to remember spending a small fortune on records.

As mentioned in another thread, I ordered a new lens last week, a Fujian CCTV C-mount lens. I paid £16 for it! It arrived today and it's a 35mm f/1.7 and it will be saddled up to my little Sony NEX 5. The adapter arrived a couple of days ago, so there's nothing stopping me now!

It's extremely small, but beautifully made. Playing around with it for a while, it looks like it might be a bit tricky to accurately focus quickly with it, as the circumference of the control rings is very small.

I will be prowling round the streets of Lancaster for a couple of hours with it tomorrow, so I shall report back. Hopefully, I will have some images to share too.

As can be seen from above (first two images), f/1.7 is not there for the purpose of high fidelity!
Put to appropriate use, though, I reckon it has lots of potential for fun and frolics.

I rarely go out without a manual focus lens but this morning I felt like not having to think too much about things. I went with a 50mm f/1.8 and here are a few I took.

Sultan.JPG

Isabel.JPG

Red Stripe.JPG

Back