Notes From The Top Left Corner

The low sun does make for interesting images. I really like the way the lines of sunlight are a continuation of the yellow lines along the edge of the road in the first one.

This week, I have been keeping busy every night since Wednesday with the Lancaster Music Festival.
Gosh, what a lot of lessons need to be learnt on the go with this stuff!
Possibly not exactly what the festival management team (and almost certainly the artist in question) were looking for, but this is my favourite shot so far.

Drums and a pint.JPG

Thanks Pete.
My wife took part in this massive endeavour with me and we have just finished uploading the last photos to the media team image dump. A period of one week and two hours of every spare minute, working on this from the launch party to just now!
I think we attended about 22 formal performances as well as a number of buskers, spontaneous events and street performers and I'm not exactly sure how many images we took, but it will have been 5 or 6 thousand, I would imagine. Lots of spares!

Speaking of which, I was just discussing with Mischa how the images I most like are usually the ones that don't really meet the brief. We found it interesting (and heartening) to reflect that some of the most remarkable rock band performance photos are the ones that break the rules.

I shall post a smattering of our work here in due course...

Another lens landed this morning.
Gosh, I do love to capitalise on Ebay sellers who want to make money but are too lazy to compose a decent advert!

This time, it was a Vivitar Series 1 lens, a little 28-105mm zoom with an f/2.8-3.5 maximum aperture. The seller failed to provide decent photos and didn't state the type of mount that it had and provided no other useful information than "condition is used".
Well, I could guess that!!

So, at the end of the auction, only having to contend with one other bid, I came out on top with a staggering bill of £4.20 plus postage to pay.

When it arrived, the first thing that was apparent was the density of this little tinker. It weighs a l-o-t. It appears to be in beautiful condition, having obviously been stored in its lovely square section leather case. The mount is Nikon, something for which I have no adapters to hand, so I can't give it a try until the ones I have bought arrive.

There's not too much info available on the web about this, but from what I can glean, there were several different versions produced and the consensus appears to suggest that mine is one of the better ones. I shall report back when I have been able to try it.

Is it the 67mm filter sized version? If so, you’re going to like it. Stay away from the 72mm version.

I was supposed to be busy with other things this morning and anyway, it was pouring with rain, so no time for messing with cameras.

But...
I got finished early, so I managed to find an hour to take a little walk around town to find some things of interest.

I nipped home and grabbed the little Sony NEX-5 and screwed the Pentacon 30mm f/3.5 into an adaptor for it. This is the lens that Pete's Meyer Lydith was eventually badged as. It's a preset with an M42 mount and I love it.

Theme for the Day: Yellow

Summer's Gone.JPG

Dalton Square Puddle.JPG

Yellow.JPG

Last edited:
This week, I have been keeping busy every night since Wednesday with the Lancaster Music Festival.
Gosh, what a lot of lessons need to be learnt on the go with this stuff!
Possibly not exactly what the festival management team (and almost certainly the artist in question) were looking for, but this is my favourite shot so far.

View attachment 15241
Did someone say "beer?" Very nice shot, Chris. (And not just because of the pint.)

Back