Critique Welcomed Oceanside Panoramics

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Here's my 4 shot haul from this morning's trip to Oceanside - laid out on the light-box.

12007418684_2a22e9a1ab_b.jpg

Here's the first shot - looking south towards Carlsbad

12007078545_ba55a196d0_h.jpg

This was a 3 minute exposure at f/22

As you can see, the colors in the sky come through much stronger with the Velvia, but the shot is underexposed, probably due to the rather severe reciprocity failure of the Velvia 50.

It's hard to calculate exactly, so I'll just have to learn by trial and error.

Here's the second shot - my first vertical panoramic with the G617

12007360463_36a312bfc0_b.jpg

I like the format, I just need to figure out good comps to use it on.

Again I've lost some foreground detail due to under exposure - same issue as #1

Shot #3 was similar to shot #4, but shot #4 has better dawn colors, so here it is the full moon over Oceanside Pier:

12007432644_d40c9d7c0f_h.jpg

This was 6 seconds at f/22

I love the way the Velvia picks up the lavender tones in the twilight lighting - 6 seconds doesn't give any real issues with reciprocity failure (approx. 1/2 stop), so the exposure is pretty much bang-on what I expected after spot metering the sky, and using zone to get my camera exposure time.

I love the dark contrast in the first one, and the phosphorescent motion blur in the surf on number 3 is excellent. Lovely shots :)

I love the dark contrast in the first one, and the phosphorescent motion blur in the surf on number 3 is excellent. Lovely shots :)
Thanks Matthew

I bet they would look great across a wall huge size, jealous off your coastline Chris
Thanks Kev - I'm trying to find out what I can do about getting a test print done, don't think my local lab does the panoramic prints so I'll have to search online.

Superb again Chris. The lens on the Fuji is very well corrected isn't it. Did you use the centre grad again?
Thanks Pete - The lens does seem very good, and the camera and lens fixed combo seems a very good deal compared to the later GX617 model which has interchangeable (and very expensive) lenses.

I did have the center ND filter fitted - figured it was light enough to avoid the pesky reflections

The pier shot is magnificent, Chris, and I like the counterintuitive "portrait" orientation of the beach shot!
Thanks Brian - I like that - counterintuitive - I'm going to steal that one :D

The last one is so very good!
Thanks Rense - that the shot I set out to get, but while waiting for the light, I could;t resist swinging round the other way to capture the dawn light show :)

I really would love to have a go with one of these!
Next time you're in the neighborhood Hamish ;)

But seriously - a lot of fun, in a completely manual, brain teasing, sort of way :)

Not for everyday, but that sorta fun is definitely up there in the fun scales for photography once in a while!
Tbh, it's made me wonder about a blad xpan again ... I noticed the other day they sometimes go for less than £700 with 2 lenses these days! Mad!
I may just have to switch the pano switch on my pentax Espio 24ew for the time being though ;)

Dam maing!!! Missed these Chris... (To busy taking piccies of myself) lol
Loving the results!
How on earth is that from film?!
Epic doesn't come close.....

Dam maing!!! Missed these Chris... (To busy taking piccies of myself) lol
Loving the results!
How on earth is that from film?!
Epic doesn't come close.....
Thanks Dan - Velvia has it's own magic - it' like having NIKColorFX on max in every shot

Back