Critique Welcomed Peterbilt

Brian Moore

I was walking past this truck and decided to snap a picture. I quite like how it turned out, despite the relatively mundane subject.

Vivitar PN2011 toy camera and Kodak Tri-X 400 processed in Rodinal.

And there's load to like too. Not just a damn fine truck and composition but those wonderful shadows, especially as they come from some many different directions. And then there's that hydrant... Wonderful shot that gives more the longer you look.
Thank you, Pete. I love your feedback; you so often see things that elude me.

I like it a lot, Brian. Despite being an impulsive shot, it seems to be saying something more than its component parts. Almost a commentary on something bigger. I don't want to get carried away and impose something on it, but maybe you know what I mean?

I like it a lot, Brian. Despite being an impulsive shot, it seems to be saying something more than its component parts. Almost a commentary on something bigger. I don't want to get carried away and impose something on it, but maybe you know what I mean?
Thanks Rob. What I found immediately attractive in the image was the odd primarily-backlit-yet-partially-frontlit quality. The truck's radiator grill stands out. (It may be illuminated by sunlight reflecting off a window in a building behind and to my left, but I'm not sure. I don't think it registered with me consciously at the time, but the bright grill it may be what made me take the picture.) Anyway, thanks again, Rob.

Yes, I see that, but was thing of something else. I've just noticed the white contrail line continues the "rules of perspective" line of the trees and the white road line. But these are all technical things. One could almost see it in some kind of metaphorical light: On To The Future! Or a truck company using it for their advertising. Or some political ideology bursting through. A new dawn. Or maybe it's just a truck on a road after all...seems more than that somehow.

A lot of order here Brian which works well against the sun splatter. Was wondering if that is a fire hydrant or a Mexican hitching a ride home, a juxtaposition of the American dream being the lorry. Poor chap.

A lot of order here Brian which works well against the sun splatter. Was wondering if that is a fire hydrant or a Mexican hitching a ride home, a juxtaposition of the American dream being the lorry. Poor chap.
Haven't heard from you in a while, Julian. Hope all's well. Thanks for the comments. I don't know if that fire hydrant is Mexican or of some other currently unwanted nationality. I'm guessing he's heading north to Canada, though.

Back