Photo Borders

Tim Pindar

I see some very professional looking borders here (Laurie's black one with a white stripe for instance) but am fairly clueless about how to add them. What software or process do people use to add borders, whether simple black or white 1px ones or more elaborate ones?

I'm not here talking about "effects" borders, but unobtrusive or professional clean ones.

I have LR3 and PS Elements 8.

I use PS3 not sure if the menus are the same, but what I do for simple borders ,ie Black or White is, Menu Image/Canvas Size...............then increase to the required size and choose colour.

I use photoshop for mine but I imagine other software also allows to do it , First I go around the image with rectangle marquee tool then STROKE 1x I usually pick up the colour with the eyedropper from a light colour within the image, then like Kev Menu - Image - Canvas size and add usually about 140pixels to the canvas size

Another option for PhotoShop users is to install actions that automatically create a frame. There are a ton of different frame actions available. Some are free others require a fee. Search Google for photoshop actions frames and see what you come up with.

I recorded a PS action to add a plain black edge (8 pixels) to an image - that way it's one button press to frame any image

Thanks all, will give it a go...

I did try Kev's instructions in Elements yesterday evening on a random image, but for some reason whatever canvas colour I specified eg black or white, it added a BLUE border. :confused:

Will play a bit more but if anyone recognises what that issue might be, please let me know!

Managed to get the hang of this now, using Image-Resize-Canvas Size.

Sorted! Thanks everyone.

(NB Actions do work in Elements, but you can't create them and there are some restrictions.)

Back