Piano River

Wonderful! The straight hair of a woman? The frizzy veil of a sacred creature? There are many contrasts in this scene. I like the metaphor of the piano music, which flows here in an instant crescendo. The contrast between the black on the right and the white on the left is dramatic. @Rob MacKillop you being a musician perhaps have a composition in mind to associate with this photo.

Thanks, Gianluca. Believe me, Liszt is never on my mind. Being a musician, I don’t actually reduce all of nature to a tune or scales and arpeggios, as they did in the Romantic era. You can also believe me when I say I have nothing on my mind when viewing nature, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. That’s why I go in search of it, to stop the noise and chatter of everyday life. I watch it for a while, then quickly take a shot, and leave. The image is not the river itself, of course, it is a thing in itself, which can draw connections to things unthought at the time. It is, in a word, transformative.

Thanks, Gianluca. Believe me, Liszt is never on my mind. Being a musician, I don’t actually reduce all of nature to a tune or scales and arpeggios, as they did in the Romantic era. You can also believe me when I say I have nothing on my mind when viewing nature, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. That’s why I go in search of it, to stop the noise and chatter of everyday life. I watch it for a while, then quickly take a shot, and leave. The image is not the river itself, of course, it is a thing in itself, which can draw connections to things unthought at the time. It is, in a word, transformative.

Honest answer, and clear. I apologize for my question, but it came to mind spontaneously, as it came to me before in past times in this forum about a photograph taken by another user that is not a musician I suppose. In this case, it was provoked by you mentioning piano music, and also by the fact that sometimes I see photographs as they were movies, where often a music score is accompanying what you see. It wasn't intended to be taken too seriously.

I didn’t take your Liszt idea seriously, Gianluca. Honestly, anyone can read anything they want into any of my images. I guess what I was trying to say is that the photo brought to mind a piano, but nature at the time did not, and I’m glad it didn’t.

I’ve just tried to watch - but gave up half-way through - a PBS program on America’s National Parks, starting with Yosemite. The constant doodling background music drove me to distraction. It ruined the program for me. I guess being a musician has its drawbacks when it comes to background music. I can’t not let it be the focus of my attention.

I guess being a musician has its drawbacks when it comes to background music. I can’t not let it be the focus of my attention.
It must be hell for you when you are put on hold in a telephone call. It's hell for me, too, and I'm not a musician, so maybe its a special kind of hell for you, Rob.

Aboot the fotie: I think it's wonderful. The smooth flow of the dark side clashing and contrasting with the crazy froth of the white side is just marvelous.

Brian, It most certainly IS hell.

Glad you like the fotie! I’m thinking I’ll experiment cropping it, as it just doesn’t quite sit right in the frame for me.

I very much like the image, yet it somehow puzzles me slightly... can't make out why it's so appealing.

It must be hell for you when you are put on hold in a telephone call.
Ah... yes... I relate! Also I find it annoying when people (in a car, workplace, whatever) have a radio playing too quietly to properly hear it, yet too loud to ignore...
[edit] Does depend on my mood!

Brian, It most certainly IS hell.

Glad you like the fotie! I’m thinking I’ll experiment cropping it, as it just doesn’t quite sit right in the frame for me.
Looking closely at it, if it were me and if I were inclined to consider cropping it, I'd probably take a little off the top, thus bringing the river to the top of the frame. On the other hand, I quite like the little view of the leaves and suggestion of the opposite bank. I'd also be reluctant to erode in any way that lovely silver streak top right. Aw hell,...it's your fotie so do what you like, but I might not like you after.

Back