Ricoh GR (Digital V) announced

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Ricoh have announced a large sensor (aps-c) 28mm 2.8 lens compact camera! This was spotted on the horizon and rumoured not so long ago, but I read people saying it wouldn't be possible unless it was drastically bigger than the previous model etc. Then the Nikon coolpix A came along and had the exact spec I'd have expected from this camera (bar a few Ricoh specific goodies of course). I imagine the Nikon gave the Ricoh fans high hopes! Having spent the last 4 months almost exclusively shooting with the first film ricoh GR, it did me. I was in fact quite tempted by the Nikon - until I heard it was so expensive and potentially quite slow to auto focus.

977_1365700396_GR_3QLeftView_UpperSurface_ON_large.jpg

And then there is the Sony RX100 ... A camera that really continues to exceed expectation for me. I use it almost exclusively at te wide end. And it actually plays on the advantage of its small sensor by providing me with quite large dof even wide open. Its perfect for snap shots of pretty much anything, and because of the 100mm tele end of the zoom, I really don't feel like I need anything else.

So do I need anything else? Probably not ... But the ricoh seems to e brig released at a sensible price ... And dpr say it has a faster AF ... So I sort of want one already! Damn you Ricoh!

Other interesting reading can be found with on MT's website - Announcing the Ricoh GR (Digital V)

And DPR Ricoh GR Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

And Ricoh them selves http://pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/RICOH_GR

Last edited:
I have pre-ordered it. I used a Ricoh GRDII for a specific project that lasted about a year. It was a superb camera, probably one of the best street shooting cameras I have ever owned. I sold the camera after I completed the project and have regretted it ever since. I came close to buying another version, but held off when I started hearing rumors about Ricoh coming up with this new camera with the bigger sensor.

I cannot wait for this to arrive.

Hamish, I ordered it from B&H in New York City and there is no indication on when it will arrive, as the orders being placed are on a first-come-first serve basis. Also, in my experience in these types of things, delivery dates as promised by the suppliers are usually not that reliable. So, we will see. I am certainly looking forward to receiving the camera and I also intend on getting the 21mm adapter lens as well.

Back