Selling Everything...

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
...and buying Sigma Quattros.

I've been having a long hard look at my photography, not just the results but also the way I shoot. I think many of the best images I've taken have been with the Sigma DP Merrill cameras. But they drove me nuts at times, difficulties finding focus, massive noise issues beyond ISO 640, five hours between each raw shot, and the post processing.

I think that what I'm getting from the Nikon pales into insignificance compared to the Merrill shots. And film shooting, especially medium format, is very expensive for me.

I have read that the quattros by Sigma, the new-improved Merrils, have successfully dealt with the issues I raised, save for the software editing, but I can live with that. So, I've just picked up a quattro DP2 on German eBay, mint condition, at a great price. I'll be selling all my other equipment here and elsewhere very soon. I hope to raise money for one or two more quattros. The new super-wide dp0 quattro is just amazing. I have a friend in Zurich who has sent me some files - outrageously good.

The decision has been made.

Here are some of my old Merril shots. Hopefully the quattros will outdo them...

Aren't you glad you are old enough to ignore peer pressure and use whatever gear you want?

I was lying bed this morning thinking about cameras; which I like, which are just tools, etc, etc. Two that popped into my head were the two Merrils I own. They are capable of so much (just look at what you, Julian and Brian get from them). That sensor is capable of magic and is very filmic in its response I often think. Frustrating as hell at times but forgivable when you see the results. Anyway, what I was thinking was, if only Leica would put a Foveon sensor in a M body, complete with RF. I'd be at the front of the queue!

I looked into these a while back. I read Steve Huff's review and a couple of others. The others also raved about the IQ, but were not as enamored with the other aspects of shooting with the DP2. I think it is as Steve says in his article - it's a camera you will either love or hate. I hope you end up loving it.

I have a good idea of what I'm in for, John, and am aware if it's faults. But they are only faults if you try to make the camera do things it's not designed to do well. It all comes down to your style of photography, and how you set about doing it. I tend to shoot more film than digital, and have always thought these Quattros and Merrils were digital cameras for film shooters, who don't need rapid-fire shooting of fast subjects. Even when I take a digital camera out for a whole day, I rarely shoot more than fifty shots at most, usually only twenty to forty - so battery life is nothing to worry about. That said, the new battery is good for two hundred shots - far mor than I'll ever use in one day. I don't do much street photography - landscapes and nature keep me busy. I'd like to do portraiture, but I rarely meet anyone who will allow me to use them. Of all the digital cameras I know, the fovean sensor gives the most film-like rendition I've ever seen, which I value. But, we shall see what we shall see.

Excellent Rob you can give me the low down. I am in for the zero, the lens is superb. I look at Park camera's and Clifton's daily and waiting for the price drop. Now waiting for the new Quattro mirrorless price tag, but that would involve buy in into a new system with lenses. There are few complaints, or many about blown highlights of the new Quattro sensor.

New

http://photorumors.com/2016/02/23/n...ras-with-foveon-x3-sensor-and-sigma-sa-mount/

Yes, I've seen that, Julian. The QuattroH will be phenomenal, I think. I suppose the next thing will be all the quattros re-released with an H attached. So hopefully the present ones will fall in price. I'd still rather have four fixed-lens cameras than one body and four lenses.

Yes I prefer the fixed lens. The H sensor is though not as large as the original Canon H sensor yet bigger than the APsc . Be interesting to see the price though.

Yes, I've seen that, Julian. The QuattroH will be phenomenal, I think. I suppose the next thing will be all the quattros re-released with an H attached. So hopefully the present ones will fall in price. I'd still rather have four fixed-lens cameras than one body and four lenses.
Have you seen the new DL series Nikon just announced? They are based on the 1" sensor, so they can't really compete with the Quattros, but they do seem interesting. They are aimed at the Sony RX100IV and look like they hit their mark. http://www.thepassionatephotographe...f1-8-2-8-and-dl18-50-f1-8-2-8-part-2-go-wide/

Well, everything is now packed in boxes and layers of bubblewrap, heading to Ffordes in Invernesshire. They're offering a very good part-exchange deal for three Quattros. :) Of course, they need to see all the equipment first, but I have hopes - it all looks in good condition to me. But they'll find something! :rolleyes:;) I'll have enough for at least two Quattros, plus the one that's coming from Germany.

But to keep Brian happy, and Hamish frustrated, I'm holding on to my Hexar! I'll still be shooting film.

Back