Selling Everything...

Nah, I'm sure he wouldn't have been interested. He'd rather have a Plaubel - so I'd better not let him know I've bought one! ;)
Friend of mine has one and I shot a few rolls with it. Very fine machine I must say. German body with Nikon lens with a bellows connecting the two,...am I right, Pete?

...and buying Sigma Quattros.

I've been having a long hard look at my photography, not just the results but also the way I shoot. I think many of the best images I've taken have been with the Sigma DP Merrill cameras. But they drove me nuts at times, difficulties finding focus, massive noise issues beyond ISO 640, five hours between each raw shot, and the post processing.

I think that what I'm getting from the Nikon pales into insignificance compared to the Merrill shots. And film shooting, especially medium format, is very expensive for me.

I have read that the quattros by Sigma, the new-improved Merrils, have successfully dealt with the issues I raised, save for the software editing, but I can live with that. So, I've just picked up a quattro DP2 on German eBay, mint condition, at a great price. I'll be selling all my other equipment here and elsewhere very soon. I hope to raise money for one or two more quattros. The new super-wide dp0 quattro is just amazing. I have a friend in Zurich who has sent me some files - outrageously good.

The decision has been made.

Here are some of my old Merril shots. Hopefully the quattros will outdo them...

Wonderful images Rob. I seldom go to this forum. It always seems to trouble my mind one way or another. There are times I am glad I am a " street shooter" as one moore would probably put it.

Rob, I can fully appreciate committing to a single platform. I have recently struggled with the same decision (finally ending up on my beloved Fuji's except for a couple specialized applications). In my case it was the inevitable worry about "would I have gotten better images if I brought X instead of Y?". I salute you for having the patience to use the Merril's - I considered trying one a while back but I knew I would become frustrated in short order and passed on the idea.

I hope you find happiness in the decision :)

Cheers, Keith. I can report that it's working out for me. I'm very happy, delighted with the three Quattros I have. I feel no need to by the DP1, to complete the set. Three's enough. I came close to jumping in with Fuji, but am happy with my choice. I still also have my Konica Hexar AF, which is a wonderful fixed-lens 35mm film camera.

Nice to see you back on the forum!

The truth is there aren't any "bad" digital cameras on the market any more - there are different compromises in various things, but the basic IQ on almost everything is more than "good enough". It comes down to what attributes you value and what inspires you to create photography, as opposed to what excels on some objective checklist.

Back