Showing Exposure Info with Photos

Paul Lange

I'd just thought I would put the idea out there that maybe we should show the exposure info with the photos that we upload. This would be a really useful resource for everyone as it will give some insight into the method behind the photo.

Anyone also think it's a good idea?

Good idea. However, it will be contained in the EXIF information for the picture.

Would be a good idea if people can be bothered to copy the data from exif and put it in their posts.

I have noticed that some people often use really slow shutter speeds, I tend to always try to have a fast shutter to avoid camera shake, I should try and slow down I guess :)

Mark.

Would be a good idea if people can be bothered to copy the data from exif and put it in their posts.

I have noticed that some people often use really slow shutter speeds, I tend to always try to have a fast shutter to avoid camera shake, I should try and slow down I guess :)

Mark.

Please don't think I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs here, but if you use a slower shutter speed, your aperture size reduces and so you get a greater depth of field in your shot which means that on a landscape, for instance, more of it will be in focus. Whereas, opening up the aperture and increasing the shutter speed gives you less depth of field, thus blurring out the background in close-ups and portraits. So the thing to do is try to select the effect you want and use your camera to get it!

No problem Grez,

I know the theory and looking back at my old photos I was better a few years ago.

These days I am in too much of a rush and dont think enough at the time of the photo.
it is later when I realise I could have done better, I am learning again though :)

but if you use a slower shutter speed, your aperture size reduces

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you correctly expose your subject, for example at f5.6, then if you adjust the shutter speed you only change the amount of ambient light i.e. the background. 1/60 will expose the background more than at 1/100th, but your subject will still be correctly exposed?

But I would shoot in manual rather than AP if "messing around" with this :)

im not so sure about that mark ... a faster shutter speed will let less light in full stop ... ??

If you change the shutter speed, to get "the same" exposure, you need to adjust the aperture to compensate. Increse the speed without altering the aperture, and you'll let less light in all round.

Attaching exposure information could be useful I guess when you have it. DSLR's and hybrid cameras certainly embed it in the EXIF but of course one must rely on ones notes (or more likely, memory) when shooting film. Even digital RF's like the Leica M9 only record ISO, shutter speed and focal length, if you used a coded lens (or set it), but not aperture.

Regards shutter speed / aperture, the choice is sometimes dependent on your vision of the final shot (narrow vs wide DoF, motion blur vs absolutely static) but also the restrictions of the equipment used (sensitivity of the sensor / film, ISO selected, maximum aperture available, focal length, hand-held vs tripod). But of course it all comes down to the amount of light reflected from the subject (whether that be available at the scene or introduced by flash etc) and that will often dictate the way that you must interpret what you see.

That is the wonderful thing about photography I guess. Sometimes you need to faithfully record what you see (whether a shot of a bee in the garden or mould growth on plastic), at other times you want to capture the atmosphere or emotional impact a scene has made on you. At other times, you may have a clear vision of an image you wish to create and stage the scene to achieve this, or start to build the elements that you will use later to create it (whether in a darkroom or in the digital domain). Whatever it is, I have to say I pretty well enjoy it all (although photos of mould growing on paint can grow a bit tiring at times!!).

If using a flash shooting at

5.6 60th 200iso

Change settings to

5.6 100th 320iso

(The iso will need to change to 320 to retain the same exposure - 2/3 of a stop)

If the flash fires at the same level the exposure would be the same, but because of the higher iso there will be more ambient light captured...

Is that what you mean mark?

... I think that makes sence...

... No maybe it doesn't ... Or does it

I always turn my flash down and iso up to get more ambient light with a gentle fill flash ....

I dunno ... I have had problems with my back all last week and now I have bloody man flu, my brain isn't working properly at all

Touche!! And calculated as quick as a flash! Even with man-flu!!

A flash indeed...

Useful iPhone apps when brain is slow

639d3935.jpg

Good idea. However, it will be contained in the EXIF information for the picture.

I think that depends on how the file was saved. For eg. if you "Save for Web" I think it strips the Exif information but if you "Save as" it keeps the Exif intact so others can use the appropriate software to read it.

Note to self: don't offer a half-assed question when working on something else.

The small, but significant thing I forgot in my question/ example was using some external lighting in manual mode (be it flash or studio lights) to get the correct exposure on the subject at a given aperture.

Note to self: don't offer a half-assed question when working on something else.

The small, but significant thing I forgot in my question/ example was using some external lighting in manual mode (be it flash or studio lights) to get the correct exposure on the subject at a given aperture.

a simple yes would have sufficed ;)

dont forget beer tomorrow night 7pm :)

Back