Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Anyone tried one?

SIGMA DP2 Merrill : Special Contents

A mere 46 MP

Mixed Reviews

Sigma DP2M Review

Photography Blog seems to sum up the general opinion:

"The Sigma DP2 Merrill is a slow, cumbersome, rather unrefined and expensive compact camera that's really only suited to static or slow-moving subjects. Despite all those major misgivings, the images that it produces thanks to the combination of the 30mm fixed lens and the intriguing Foveon X3 sensor are simply outstanding, by far the best images that we've seen from a humble compact camera and even rivaling a DSLR with an equivalent prime lens. The DP2 Merrill may not be the most lovable camera around, but it certainly takes great pictures."

Not for Street stuff, then. As Luminous Landscape Guy says: "Definitely Not For Camera Pussys"! And "the highest image quality from any camera this side of a 36MP+ DSLR or Medium format camera or back. No mincing words. That's what I see."

Interesting?

Haven't tried one but, having read the LL review a while back, I am quite interested. Speed etc sounds similar the GR Digital III and it's a similar size but with that bit of extra oomph as it were. And it has a fixed focal length lens which I find attractive but a longer focal length than the Ricoh. There is also the DP1M (wider lens) - Sigma DP1 Merrill - but it is the DP2 that for me is the more tempting.

That luminous landscapes review is fantastic ... I bloody love that website!

- - - Updated - - -

... Yeah, maybe a second camera Rob, but it wouldn't be my main camera ...
lots of shots from them here http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=187 (another good website actually)

There's some synchronicity going on in this ere forum :confused: I was just thinking of posting a couple Sigma SD9 images & posting a ladder & pigeon photo (Julian) & posting a web banner stylee photo (Hamish on Dave's Natalia).

I still have Sigma's first digital compact DP1. There is a gent Luis Sigma Cum Laude Home page he modifies Sigma dslrs to take Leica R. He says SD9 sensor (2002) is his favourite.

Sigmas do have a different look but that depends much on the photo. If i was travelling i would like DP2 Merrrill for landscapes, just for portability & knowing it was matching D800 for detail. The lens on DP2 Merrill is supposed to be one of the best put on a camera from wide open.

Yeah, but Clifton are offering 12 months zero per cent interest. 50% deposit, which I can pay, then about £30 per month. The Digital Rev price is certainly the lowest around.

I just fancy having a camera with a slower AF than my X100, which is way too fast :p ;)

i used bill me later while in college and a few years after which has a similar no interest offers, but offers a lot of stores to choose from. amazon used to offer them as a payment option, but i think they got rid of it. each store has it's own offers, ie, one store might be 6 mos no interest on bills over $100 and another might be 18 mos no interest on $500 and up.

haven't used them in a few years, but still have an account with them just in case. never had any issues with them, but like i said it's been awhile.

Last edited:
It is not 100% true that Digital Rev prices include all the VAT & DUTY they can not charge it as based in Hong Kong, it is the carrier who takes that payment off you when they deliver the item, they also have a handling charge on top of that as well.If the package is marked as GIFT this is against the law & the biggest problem is that you do not have a FULL UK WARRANTY so Sigma UK Ltd will not touch it unless you provide them with all the import & VAT duty documents to prove it was legally imported, hope this information helps.

Thinking of buying the Sigma DP2 Merrill from Clifton Cameras.

Clifton are offering 12 months zero per cent interest. 50% deposit, which I can pay, then about £30 per month.
I just fancy having a camera with a slower AF than my X100, which is way too fast :p ;)

DP2M no doubt has detail almost as Nikon D800 and a pop & clarity & a look which is rather Foveon.
Although due to massive file size and sloooooow Sigma Photo Pro, needs an Intel i series quad computer & lots of RAM.

Yet i feel before outlaying this amount, perhaps may be worthwhile testing out the original DP1 or DP2, just to get a feel of how DP's are in use and how they are to process in SPP. Also i feel as you are a creative photographer Rob whereas DP1M DP2M are more suited to WYSISWG photography testing the originals is an inexpensive way to see if it suits your photography. The originals don't have the detail of the Merrils, yet they have the Foveon signature.

I had a DP 1 and 2. The second versions. They really were amazing when the stars aligned. I ended up selling them because I would get so frustrated using them. It was mainly having to use the rear screen. I would love to try one of the Sigma DSLR's but my animal rescue addiction has become the metaphorical equivalent of Tennessee Ernie Ford's great 16 Tons. I do kind wish I hadn't sold them. Once I got the X Pro/X100 I just found I never used any of the other cameras (except the D700).

Rob is also right. Sometimes in Lightroom the files would take on this weird orange color. I could never figure out what was causing it. Other times they would be incredible. I never tried Silky Pix.

I can't speak to the Merrill's but the Fuji's focus faster than the DP's I had.

Rob, I read Ahmad's comment on another thread about the suitability of the sigma for you ... I wonder if he might have a point?
What it your intended use for it?

Here's that thread ...
i can def see the attraction, I almost talked my self into one ... I just have a feeling there might be other gear that would serve you better ... Just by being more different from the x100...
maybe even an xpro ... Or a sony nex6 (or 7) ... Dunno ... I know I probably seem a stuck record, and I'm obviously just peaked from my perspective of enjoying what I'm currently doing, but does the ability to attach all manner of old lenses to something not appeal. Given your creative style, I would have thought it would ... Maybe not?

I like the X100 a lot, but sometimes feel the image quality could be better. I don't think I would be happy carrying lots of equipment around, so a fixed lens suits me better. The Merrill seems to have the best image quality from a smallish fixed lens camera, at least sub £1000. I also think the Foveon process produces very fine images for black and white processing.

Or, talk more and we can help with the thinking ... I'm going to comment again in the other thread ...
in fact, I could merge the threads... Does that make sence to do?

Back