Sigma DP2 Merrill

Sound enough logic.
Just bare in mind that image quality drop at higher ISO's
another thought is that whilst I know what you mean about not wanting to carry loads of kit ... Just because you can swap lenses doesn't mean you have to... Or indeed have to carry a lot of gear. My nex and 35mm is smaller than the x100 was. Manual focusing with focus peaking is faster than the x100 (even on AF) ... And image quality is better!
I'm just trying to give you a bit of an alternative pov. I can def see the attraction of the the sigma, and in fact every time this thread comes up I feel slightly more drawn to the idea my self... Just trying to be helpful :/

I can do you a raw file from the sony if you like, just for the sake of comparison with the fuji...?

- - - Updated - - -

Threads merged :)

Here is a link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1yzjjieeqxohxc/_bwZw-D_oW
The image was taken on the sony nex5n with the voigtlander 35mm 1.4 ... I focussed just before infinity on the houses on the other side of the road at f/5.6
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 VM Nokton MC Black - Lenses | Robert White Photographic Ltd
Same lens that took this:
http://www.realphotographersforum.com/people-portraits/4590-connie-boston-tea-party.html
and these
http://www.realphotographersforum.com/people-portraits/8792-connie-eating-front-tree.html

Last edited:
Original DP2 also had a 40mm f2.8 In pixels equivalent to Bayer 10MP. I think unless printing really large, or photographing landscape with lots of foliage, DP2 is fine & dandy. It will have the pure b&w as of the Leica M9 (due to not having Bayer CFA interpolation) and the files sizes even my old ibm x60 thinkpad dual core 1.66Ghz 3MB RAM managed with fairly well.

I've read that the DP1 is not good at ISO above 400 and that it is slow and that it runs batteries down fast. But, the notion of B&W images from it sure is appealing. Any thoughts on these points, Ahmad?

I've read that the DP1 is not good at ISO above 400 and that it is slow and that it runs batteries down fast. But, the notion of B&W images from it sure is appealing. Any thoughts on these points, Ahmad?

DP1 which i still have is F4. I invariably used it at iso100. Iso400 i did try a handful nighttime and wished it fad f2.8, or i had got a tripod to do iso100. I had i think class 10 or class 6 SD card, it was like 7 secs writing to RAW. I did carry three batteries :)

DP2 i didnt keep as i had EP1 with f1.4 lens and i liked getting shallower dof than f2.8.

I will post a b&w from DP1.

SDIM1876.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, ahmad, but I've now - finally - come to a firm decision, and will not be buying a new camera for the next six months at least. Yes, I've just bought another damn guitar! It's a sickness...[doh]

Ahmad,...thank you. Three lovely images. The color in the two color ones is particularly delightful. Soft and lovely I would call it. No actually,..."dreamy glowly softness" as you said seems to be more apt.

So what about the criticisms of the DP1? How seriously are they to be taken? I imagine that for quick snap shots a la street photography the DP1 isn't what one would want. I do a lot of dim light shots, too. With my XA or XA3 I just stand the camera on something stable and wait for the shutter to work its magic. Normally I'm shooting 400 ASA film, but sometimes less. From the POV that I am accustomed to that limitation, I wonder if the DP1's high ISO frailty would be any kind of bother?

What do you think, Ahmad? Overall I'm guessing you're happy with your DP1 despite its limitations. (The picture quality you've shown in the three images you sent is certainly superb.)

Thanks again Ahmad!

I've now - finally - come to a firm decision, and will not be buying a new camera for the next six months at least. Yes, I've just bought another damn guitar! It's a sickness...[doh]

Welcome Rob i hope it was an analogue, not an electric requiring digital processing :)

So what about the criticisms of the DP1? How seriously are they to be taken? I imagine that for quick snap shots a la street photography the DP1 isn't what one would want. I do a lot of dim light shots, too. With my XA or XA3 I just stand the camera on something stable and wait for the shutter to work its magic. Normally I'm shooting 400 ASA film, but sometimes less. From the POV that I am accustomed to that limitation, I wonder if the DP1's high ISO frailty would be any kind of bother?

Welcome Brian :) I think DP1 is pretty hopeless handheld at dim light, esp as its widest is f4, for dim light iso400 it needs about 1/15th, 1/25th even then i it is quite hit & miss. Street i think if arty blurry photos :D are the requirement then DP1 is quite ok, realistically for street DP1 given its slow AF & slow write times (no buffer to speak of) is best kept in the pocket, although it does have a kind of zone focus manual focus dial.

Back