Critique Welcomed Some Images From The Airshow

Brian Moore

For the third consecutive year he city of Huntington Beach has hosted an airshow featuring either the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds or the U.S. Navy Blue Angels as the main attraction. In 2016 I shot from the beach with my Canon 7D and Tamron 18-210 zoom lens. In 2017 I shot with the same set up but from a different vantage point: The top floor of a local beachfront hotel, which my wife's employer had rented for the weekend. I shot several hundred images each time and got some decent shots both years. (I don't think I ever posted any to RPF.)

This year, on October 21, we were back on the beach again but instead of shooting the same rig and getting the same stuff I decided to just shoot B&W film with my Olympus OM2n. I took two lenses with me: A Zuiko 35-70 zoom and a Zuiko 200mm prime. I had never shot with these lenses before. As it turned out I never took the 200 out of the bag. No real reason,...couldn't be bothered I suppose.) I shot 2 rolls of Ilford HP5+ and most of a roll of Tri-X. I developed them in Cinestill DF96 Monobath developer. All shots were made with the 35-70 zoom with a red 29 filter on it. (I wanted to darken the sky.)

It was a total experiment (and why not?) which resulted in some decent (in my opinion) shots but also some failures. Here are a few of what I think are decent ones.

Fed Ex 757 Flyover (HP5+)

Gazing into the sun (HP5+)

Thunderbirds (Tri-X)

A Thunderbird--with something of a Thunderbirds look, in my opinion (Tri-X)

Pier Flyover (Tri-X)

Cutting it Close (HP5+)

Ruby's Flyover (HP5+)

Making Good Smoke (HP5+)

Fed Ex 757 Flyover 2 (HP5+)

Last edited:
Wow. A successful experiment, I'd say, and so many good ones. Each shot is worthy of a post of its own. Great timing on Cutting It Close! A Thunderbird looks like you yourself were flying, and the contrails of Thunderbirds is wonderful. The first, FedEx Flyover, is a perfect shot, right down to the guy's hat.

I have to admit a vague feeling that you did indeed post your previous airshow shots here, but perhaps it was another airshow, Brian. Well done, great stuff!

Wow. A successful experiment, I'd say, and so many good ones. Each shot is worthy of a post of its own. Great timing on Cutting It Close! A Thunderbird looks like you yourself were flying, and the contrails of Thunderbirds is wonderful. The first, FedEx Flyover, is a perfect shot, right down to the guy's hat.

I have to admit a vague feeling that you did indeed post your previous airshow shots here, but perhaps it was another airshow, Brian. Well done, great stuff!

A, "Wow" from me too, Brian. Stunningly good stuff. Wonderfully characterful and oozing atmosphere.

Thanks Rob and Pete.

Rob after I saw you post I did a search for airshow but I only found some of @Chris Dodkin's from Miramar down San Diego way.

I agree with Aaron, it's nice to see context and not just the planes. I felt a most of the images gave a real sense of urgency and story telling. 'Cutting it close' really told a story to me, all the people standing watching the show on a small screen just to post it on facebook along with 5,000 others, when they could have actually watched it for real. Some great captures.

I agree with Aaron, it's nice to see context and not just the planes. I felt a most of the images gave a real sense of urgency and story telling. 'Cutting it close' really told a story to me, all the people standing watching the show on a small screen just to post it on facebook along with 5,000 others, when they could have actually watched it for real. Some great captures.
Thanks a lot, Vic. Much appreciated.

I've ben loving this series on IG Brian - great comps, and the B&W makes it

Back