Critique Welcomed St. Basil's Chapel On A Wet, Dreary Day

Brian Moore

This is in Houston, Texas. Shot with my Olympus OM2n and Olympus 35/2.8 shift lens with Kodak Tri-X 400 film.

Normally I process my B&W film in Rodinal. (Although I went through a period a few years ago using Caffenol as a developer.) However, I had recently used the last of my Rodinal and didn't have time to make the trek to the place that sells it. So I resolved to try HC110, which I knew my local camera shop had in stock. On the shelf, though, was also a couple of bottles of monobath developer. I was intrigued and decided to give it a go. So, this image was developed in Cinestill DF76 Monobath. It's a delight to use. A very quick process. However, I'll need to experiment with my agitation procedure since I had quite a bit of grain. Nevertheless, happy with it so far.

A one liter bottle is capable of developing at least 16 rolls of film. It lasts a year on the shelf unopened, and 2 months once opened. However, it's no where near as economical as Rodinal.

That is a very striking image, it works well. Did a search for the chapel, what a strange building!
Thanks Dave. Did you see the diagonal cross on the outside wall? Its a window. Sheds a cross-shaped light on the opposite wall inside. Unfortunately I didn't get inside to snap a picture--saw it on the web. Anyway, thanks again, Dave.

Superb image, Brian. So much for the eye to contemplate. I love the bird, if that's what it is, at the top, and the architectural rip in the wall, and the three bells are perfectly placed. Superb!

Superb image, Brian. So much for the eye to contemplate. I love the bird, if that's what it is, at the top, and the architectural rip in the wall, and the three bells are perfectly placed. Superb!
Thanks Rob. Yes it's a bird on top of the cross. I wish I had a little more space above the bird but the space tightened up when I adjusted the perspective to get the wall in the left parallel to the left edge of the frame. It wasn't that far off to begin with so I may have another look at this image in Lightroom and redo it. Thanks again, Rob.

Back