Just for Show Surfing

Julian de'Courcy

The month of May brought some fantastic weather and Cornwall did not miss out. The high pressure does not always bring in the best surf waves but there is always a few beaches which give enough surf to at least get out, wash away the winter blues and time to look forward to the warm wet summer months ahead. A pic taken a few days ago. A novice surfer trying to get out over a wave rather than through it.

20120525-IMG_1890-3 by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

Almost abstract Julian - love the diagonal separation of the foreground wave and background ocean & sky

The PP on the spray works here and adds to the surreal nature of the image - almost looks like studio flash lighting the way the sharpening has picked up the water droplets.

Hi and Thank you both. Just for interest this is a crop of what might be otherwise seen as a non photograph. A picture that on another day may well have been discarded. I always shoot Raw purely because thats what I did from day one using digital. I also shoot in faithful / neutral which does the least possible in camera processing and have noise reduction off. For this image in LR I cropped an area and then applied a graduated filter to the bottom half, with some colour fill, in this case blue. I saw the abstract possibilities of the image but still wished it to be recognisable as a surfer. In CS4 where I used burn and dodge as in a darkroom and a wee bit of sharpening , the image looked very different from where it began. I did ponder a while and wonder if I had over cooked it. It had a feel of something photographic made too look like maybe a water colour, which I dont enjoy. But this seemed to me at the moment at least something worth living with for a time and maybe reflect back in a while and get a better perspective of the image.

Once again for interest, here is the image which began the process.

Attachments

• 20120525-IMG_1890-9.jpg
    20120525-IMG_1890-9.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 12
Back