Critique Welcomed The Getty on Redscale

Brian Moore

I visited the Getty Center a couple of weeks ago. They had an exhibit of Japanese photography as well as an exhibit of Daguerrotypes. (I thought Daguerrotypes showed a positive image when viewed straight on but a negative image when viewed from an angle; many of the images on display, though described as D-types, did not; they were positives from any angle. So I must be wrong because I can scarcely imagine that the Getty's experts would put up tintypes and call them D-types. Anyone have a thought on this...?)

Anyway, I shot some Lomography Redscale 100 ASA film with my Yashica 635. I wanted to overexpose in order to get away from the red redscale effect and more into the gold/yellow effect that overexposure of redscale film gives. So these images were shot at 1/30th @ f11. (I don't have a light meter so I was relying on the Sunny 16 Rule as a guide to exposure.)

Frankly I wasn't terribly happy with the color palate I got--too greenish/yellow--so I pushed some sliders around in Lightroom get what looked to me a more pleasing result. (Processed the images myself at home. Got a couple of water spots on the negs [Pete!].)

That was my understanding as well, Brian as ones own reflection is important in rendering the image on the plate. I have only ever viewed them through a cabinet in a museum though and so had little chance to experiment with angles etc.

We'll whatever you fiddling did, it has produced some quite nice tones / colours and I like the darkened skies, as well as the graininess. They have quite a period look to them I think.

That was my understanding as well, Brian as ones own reflection is important in rendering the image on the plate. I have only ever viewed them through a cabinet in a museum though and so had little chance to experiment with angles etc.

We'll whatever you fiddling did, it has produced some quite nice tones / colours and I like the darkened skies, as well as the graininess. They have quite a period look to them I think.
Thanks Pete. Much appreciated.

They do have a period look. Not sure which period exactly. Very nice shots, Brian. The film and processing work well for architecture.
Thanks a lot, Rob. I think the architecture at The Getty is particularly well-suited to these tones due to the use of travertine for building and paving.

Back