The move from Bridge to DSLR

Dave Moss

1st Nikon photo's (5 of 6) by davem44, on Flickr
(The S4080 which was dropped)

Earlier in the year I dropped my Fuji bridge camera after this happened I started looking about to what camera to move on to.

1st Nikon photo's (6 of 6) by davem44, on Flickr

(My 2 Fuji Bridge camera side by side)

This started me thinking about how I could also improve my photography one thing which had always worried me but also something I knew I had to do was to move from JPEG to RAW files which give better post processing control so that was my first priority. This led me to first think about the bridge cameras which shoot RAW most of these were either out of my budget but one the HS30 was within budget so I had decided to go with that option.

last fuji (1 of 5) by davem44, on Flickr
(Mickey always gets excited when I grab my camera normally that means a trip out)

But a trip into town and walking past one of the many second hand shops my eye was drawn to a DSLR in the window about the same price as the bridge I had intended getting. With the bigger sensor size etc. this became a serious consideration so I got some good advice (from here thanks everyone) I decided to go with a Nikon D80. Why this camera well I already own Nikon lenses from my F3 days and they will fit the other reason is the D80 takes SD cards rather than compact flash so this saved me the expense of new memory cards and a card reader.

last fuji (2 of 5) by davem44, on Flickr
(The S2500 and D80 side by side)

So the search started for a D80 and lens most of these are sold without a lens so I had to budget for that as well one thing I already knew was that at some point I would want a decent telephoto lens as well with a 70-300 being the most likely contender so off to eBay (I did look elsewhere as well) to look one thing which soon after I started bidding I noticed was most were being got by one person but there was always the buy now ones which were a little more expensive but after taking shipping into consideration were not out of the question lenses also were a little cheaper got this way as well.

last fuji (5 of 5) by davem44, on Flickr
(What I ordered)

After being outbid numerous times I ended up going down the buy now route I had already located a what looked a decent one 8000 shutter actuations and with everything included, a lot are sold without leads so I visited the persons shop Clearance Items, Nikon Autofocus Lenses items in The Photographer's Bag store on eBay! contacted them about express delivery I got” if your ordering multiple items only pay for express once” So yesterday I ordered a D80 multiple lenses and a couple of other bits and pieces after some initial problems with EBay and PayPal the order was dispatched with a few bits I didn’t order but were sent because I had paid full price (these actually cover the extra I would have saved anyway) and has now arrived I am now the proud owner of a DSLR

last fuji (4 of 5) by davem44, on Flickr
(What I got)

Well done on that, if I can help in anyway feel free to get in touch,we can sort out sensor cleans etc & always have a range of used gear in stock for that extra lens or flash LOL.
Hope you enjoy it, we may be doing some landscape courses later in the year, I am just out looking at spots in this area at the minute, so watch out on our site for details.

Very nice. I've previously purchased from 'The Photographers Bag' too. I bought my 28-105mm USM off them, in perfect condition inside and almost perfect outside. (Only almost because there was some grime on zoom/focus grips... Nothing a cocktail stick couldn't sort. Well packaged and arrived next day.
Can't wait to see pics :)

Dave my experiences with the D80 have all been good, you will enjoy your pleasurable journey with her, treat her well and enjoy, I'm sure you will have a very happy time together..

Back