Theme: My Street

Five images would be tough, particularly if they are truly to be of "my" street. I live in one of those *%&^# things... what are they called? oh yeah, neighborhoods... Ick. :p Anyway, ultra-bland suburban-style residential street with waaaaaaaaaaayyyy too many (pine) trees.

Hmmmm...

I'm sure you'll figure it out, if not your street, take the next one, or the one after. Remember that what you see, as common as it seems, is unknown to us and is only there for a short period of time. Recording history and showing it is what we do as photographers.

I look forward seeing pictures of pine trees, we don't have any pine trees here.

we don't have any pine trees here
Wish I could say the same, LOL. I hate pine needles. 🙃

Actually I don't dislike trees, per se, it's just that we're overrun in this part of the planet with pine (hint, my town's name is "Pineville"). The western "horizon" -- if you want to call it that -- of my back yard / garden probably averages about 70-85 degrees up toward zenith. Most other directions are little lower. There's just a little patch of sky directly overhead.

I seriously love the big-sky, wide-open expanses of areas like west Texas, New Mexico, etc. and that's VERY different from the almost claustrophobic forest growth we have here in places. And from a photographic viewpoint, pine forests -- at least what we have -- are very bi-chromatic: Dull green (live pine needles) and reddish brown (dead pine needles). That's it. We have some open land, but it's cleared, not natural, and virtually all of it is vast commercial / corporate farmland. Useful, valuable and necessary but far from scenic or attractive. Go west and open land becomes more often ranch land (rather than farm) or undeveloped federal land, both of which are much nicer IMO.

I really like the idea that your next-door neighbor is a half mile or more away. My next door neighbor's house is about 4 meters from mine. Great guy and I'm fortunate to have a good neighbor but I'd love more buffer space and privacy.

Anyway, I digress. I'll think about it and see what I can do.

Five images would be tough, particularly if they are truly to be of "my" street. I live in one of those *%&^# things... what are they called? oh yeah, neighborhoods... Ick. :p
I'd still love to see it! Mind you I suppose I could find Pineville in Google Streetview. But that's not nearly the same!
And when you factor in different lighting (which is easier when you live in your subject) there's bound to be quite a few options for photographing even a boring street.
(Easy to say I know!)

I'm wondering if I qualify - I don't live on a street as such at all...

But Stephenson, you have a road leading to where you live, don't you? If so, whatever you find there shall do the trick I gather. If it is the street where we live, there would not be much to photograph for me either, but my interpretation takes me to shall I say, the vicinity of where I sleep. :D

I believe we can trust each other here Pete, but how can you be sure? And as I put it, near vicinity of home, is that alright? a couple of a hundred meters leading to the house?🥹

Two of my five (from the past), three more to come after I shoot them...

These were taken during one of our rare snowfalls in December 2009, shot with my old Canon Rebel XT (350D). They are literally in my yard / front garden, so that's definitely "My Street". :) If you look closely in both you can glimpse my physical street.

By the way, what's the recommended / limited image size? I typically use 2048 wide for forums, social media, etc., but that often fails here so I've been using 1080 instead. Did I overlook the guidelines somewhere?

Thanks.

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Well for allold ones, I think I have contributed with images for this theme before. Now I have possibly gone senile and done it again, at this time of year. All done with Pentax K3.

Attachments

• the street where I live.jpg
    the street where I live.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 11
  • _K3J0002 kopi.jpg
    _K3J0002 kopi.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 10
  • on my way home, K3 and 35-70mm kopi.jpg
    on my way home, K3 and 35-70mm kopi.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Garden view kopi.jpg
    Garden view kopi.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 8
  • home.jpg
    home.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 15
Two of my five (from the past)
I knew there was something to photograph! ;)
Thanks for posting! I didn't know you got snow that far South... so I learnt something too.
limited image size?
1MB. You can squeeze in 3000px wide if you lower JPEG quality to 60%-ish, but I'm not sure what looks better. That's just what works for me... there is also a recent mention in the old thread here here: https://realphotographersforum.com/threads/ideal-image-upload-settings.13739/#post-198478
I think I have contributed with images for this theme before.
Well, I don't think I've seen any of them! I especially like the one with the silhouette of a car transporter on the bridge, with the snow covered road below.
you have a road leading to where you live, don't you?
Well, put that way, of course! :) Hmmm. I'll have to get busy I can see.

I didn't know you got snow that far South... so I learnt something too.
We don't actually, not often at least. Off the cuff I'd say it's maybe once every 4 - 5 years that we get a measurable snowfall, i.e., an inch or more. We get ice (or at least icy-ish conditions) a little more often. Ice storms / conditions from a cold front following rain aren't unheard-of. That's actually more difficult to deal with than snow. Snow happens, but not often nor massively. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

The last few years we've seen some colder (cooler?) wintertime lows than common... maybe. It's gotten down to the low teens Fahrenheit (-10C) more than once. Then again, as you've seen me mention elsewhere, this summer was a hot, dry one for us. We topped out around 110F (43C) in August, with about six weeks above 100F each day. By autumn we were down to probably 25% or less of our average rainfall for the period, although we've had a little bit since then (still not caught up, though). About the only slightly redeeming quality of the heat was the low humidity (25% - 35%) during the day as compared to our usual 65% - 95%.

But I guess that's enough of a weather report, eh (and I'm not talking about Joe, Wayne, Jaco, Peter and company). 🙃

Thanks, folks, for bringing this thread 'back to life', I hadn't seen it until recently. Some great pics. Here are five from my 'street'. Nearest human neighbour about 1/2 mile away. We do, though, occasionally have our bovine neighbours come and say hello over the garden wall. The young bull you see in one of the frames is in the field next to us. Said shot of the 'neighbour taken on Canon EOS 500N with 40mm pancake on Kentmere 400, the remaining four either Canon 6D or Samsung phone. (The telephone pole in the misty pic is adjacent to our place).

Attachments

• IMG_9362web.jpg
    IMG_9362web.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF5855.jpg
    DSCF5855.jpg
    879.9 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, folks, for bringing this thread 'back to life', I hadn't seen it until recently. Some great pics. Here are five from my 'street'. Nearest human neighbour about 1/2 mile away. We do, though, occasionally have our bovine neighbours come and say hello over the garden wall. The young bull you see in one of the frames is in the field next to us. Said shot of the 'neighbour taken on Canon EOS 500N with 40mm pancake on Kentmere 400, the remaining four either Canon 6D or Samsung phone. (The telephone pole in the misty pic is adjacent to our place).
The two B&Ws are very appealing, Ralph. Yon's a bonny coo.

Back