these are not the droids you're looking for

Beth Carter

"In June 1914, an Archduke of Austria was shot by a Serbian, and this then led, through nations having treaties with nations, like a line of dominoes falling, to some boys from England walking together in France on a terrible day." Doctor Who, The Family of Blood

these started out in life as some disappointing, wobbly, horrible looking pit droids from star wars. a friend of mine sanded them down and repainted them. he also cut gashes and bullet holes into them, added exposed wire, metal, mud and rust. they look pretty cool now. when i saw them i started thinking about the quote from above, they kinda remind me of some world war 1 or 2 gear and the stripes made me think more of france than america.. he was going to do a star on the shoulder, but didn't have enough room to paint it there. i like the stripes. i think they turned out pretty cool looking, much better than they were originally.

originals:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/getoninja/12inch Star Wars items/pitdroids03.jpg

shot with the fuji x-pro 1 and 55-200mm lens. it was getting ready to rain, again, and i was feeling lazy. otherwise i think i might have switched the lens to the 18-55mm. the 55-200mm is a nice lens for most a lot of things, but it requires a little more working distance. that can be difficult when working with smaller subjects up close.

shot raw processed in lr5.

Last edited:
If they were French though, wouldn't they have their hands up? ;)

That's a super narrow DOF Beth - some PP bokeh added in?

lol! actually, no pp bokeh added. f/6.4 @ 200mm, iso 1000, 1/250s, handheld. some minor cropping in lr. it might look narrower than it is because i was laying down and had the camera on the ground. delaware is notoriously flat.

If they were French though, wouldn't they have their hands up? ;)

That's a super narrow DOF Beth - some PP bokeh added in?

I believe the term you were looking for was "garlic munchin surrender monkeys" :D I love these photos you do Beth....quirky, funny and cute (the photos lolol)

Bonne chance Beth!

Back