Critique Welcomed Time Trial

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
8721365553_058473df2d_o.jpg

Charlotte Motor Speedway - NC

X-Pro1 and 14mm Lens

Classic, old-style sports shot, Chris. I really like it. How did you get into that position?

Thanks Rob - I knelt down! :D

The cyclist is one of the sales guys from our NC office - so I got entry to the track infield through him for the event - no one said anything when I edged closer and closer to the track, so I went for it with a low and wide shot from 2" off the deck.

Put the camera in manual mode but with Auto ISO - 1/2000 to kill most of the motion blur, and f/5.6 to give me a little DOF. Then put the AF box over the white line they would cross so I could pre-focus and wait for the rider. I dialed in +EV to compensate for the strong lighting from the sky.

Ideally I'd have liked to use fill flash, but the slow shutter speed for flash sync on the X-Pro1 makes that a challenge, so this was done without flash.

You've really captured a sense of energy, or maybe power is a better word. The perspective is just right. Nice stuff.

I can see why you might want flash. But this worked out very well. The clouds add a sense of drama too.

But - you need to spend more time online. The X-Pro 1 cannot capture action. I know it's true because armchair photographers say so. :rolleyes:

I like it Chris...clear and dramatic. if there is a nit...a little more track to the right would have added some more perspective. IMHO...I like to see where the person, etc is coming from or going to. Just my opinion of course...

Beautifully done, Chris. The energy is there, yet he seems to have been hanging there for a while - a tribute to the photographer. :)

It worked out well Chris and I like the explanation of your thought process etc, thanks. Did you do any other shots during the day?

Thanks Pete - yes, I do have more, but have not had the chance to get to them yet - I just did a few for the guys at the office.

Will have a play on the flight home and post some more

- - - Updated - - -

I like it Chris...clear and dramatic. if there is a nit...a little more track to the right would have added some more perspective. IMHO...I like to see where the person, etc is coming from or going to. Just my opinion of course...

Thanks Glenn - and I hear you regarding the comp

The trackside pro was shooting 70-200 on Canon and was shooting more down the track for a perspective view

- - - Updated - - -

Beautifully done, Chris. The energy is there, yet he seems to have been hanging there for a while - a tribute to the photographer. :)

Thank you Nihat - I also tried some shots at 1/1000 to get speed blur, but I didn't like the lack of crispness in the rider - 1/30 worked a treat but then you had no way of IDing who was riding.

Back