Two MF Shots from Dunkeld

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I got back from Ag Photolab four sets of prints and the negs from our recent trip to Dunkeld in Perthshire. I'm generally happy with some of the shots, and you'll see a couple of more posts, I'm fairly certain, once I've scanned them. For starters, here's two from our river walk.

Bronica SQAi with 110mm close-up lens (I hesitate to call it macro) and Portra 160, which is the first time I've used the 160 version. No filters on the lens - not an aesthetic choice, more a financial one for the moment.

Blue Bush.jpg

seeds.jpg

dead tree1.jpg

These are absolutely gorgeous, Rob. Love the cool tones and shallow DoF of the first and the swirling patterns in the last. I wasn't so sure about the middle shot at first though, but it is growing on me and I like the way the seeds (?) are reflected in the dark heads in the grass behind. And the flow in the image too.

Thanks, Pete. I absolutely love the Bronica and its soft lenses, and I'm now very happy to use Portra for my colour shots. Unfortunately the one b&w film I took - Ilford PanF 50 - was too slow without the use of a tripod, which I forgot to bring with me, so only two of those twelve are worth a second look.

Yes, seeds were falling like confetti all along the riverbank - a very beautiful site to behold.

I think the first if the above is my favourite of the lot.

Cheers, Chris. It was a long-fallen tree which gave a few decent compositions. I could easily have used up a whole film on it, but had to refrain as there was so much else to explore.

Your interest in it must be related to your affinity with stringed instruments. My (non creative) timber marketing eye is trained to look out for swirls and crinkles in grain like that - some of the most valuable timber I have sold was Sycamore that went to Germany and Austria for instrument making. 'Fiddleback Sycamore' is the forester's holy grail!

Back