"Vintage Post Process" Theme

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
We used to do a lot more themes ... so i thought Id start them up again for the newer members!

This one is "Vintage Post Process"

If we could have all the images posted in this thread with a little bit on the pp that you have done ...
Think "vintage" in both pp and subject

we will then all judge a winner and said winner will receive a little badge of honour saying they won a theme by their name ... (a feature I'm currently working on)

Im not entering, but here is an example you may or may not have seen

60dd8804.jpg

taken on the Iphone and edited in snapseed ... thats the cheap and cheerful way of doing it ... Im intersted to see if anyone can come up with anything using "proper" software!

I might pop up with more examples, but as I say, I'm not entering the competition as such

Ill keep this running for a couple of weeks and see how we get on!

There is apt of this arround at the moment...
i thought it might be interesting to see people's take on it and make hear people's techniques for achieving the effect!
Im hopeing a few people might have a go and we can explore different methods etc before eventually choosing a winner!

OK - I've had a go, but I'm not sure I can remember what I did. There are old photo effects in Nik Color and Silver Efex, but in the interests of doing a proper job, I haven't touched them. Erm... photograph taken about five years ago in black and white. Tone added selectively using control points. Colour selected later and used to create extra stained effect. Slight vingette added, but by hand, so quite off centre. Contrast reduced, but I changed a lot of controls to compensate so it didn't end up looking too flat. Levels adjustment in CS5 with blacks lightened a tad. Lighter adjustment layer for some selective edge fading. A stronger adjustment layer to add scratches by hand at differing strengths and sizes. Image not sharpened, but micro contrast used to enhance the grain.

Vintage.jpg

A cracking first entry Lesley! Set the bar high why don't you ...
it never occured to me (stupidly) that this would attract this sort of image ... I guess we are so bombarded with "lomo" style vintage that this sort of vintage didn't even enter my head! Glad you posted it!!

Vintage Post Process - 'KAREL'

I'd normally use Topaz for vintage effects, purely on the basis that t's quicker, and gives more scope for experimentation. However, since Lesley did without her Nik software, I'll continue the trend and do this purely in Photoshop. Although I used CS5, I don't think there's anything here you can't do in any other version, even Elements.

First the end result...

image1006_001 by jordin57, on Flickr

And the process....
- open the (colour) original and duplicate the layer,
- Image - adjustments - desaturate to give a monochrome image,
- Add a blank layer on top and fill with a suitable sepia-ish colour. Set the blending mode of this layer to Overlay,
- Add a levels adjustment layer on top and adjust the levels to taste,
- Add another blank layer on top of these, then using the Eliptical Marque tool select an are roughly in the middle of the image. Adjust its size and postioning till it includes most of the main subject. (It doesn't have to be perfect),
- Select - Inverse then select - modify -feather and set a large-ish value. The value will depend on the image size, I used 120 as a starting point but ended up at 90,
- fill the selection with the same sepaia-ish colour as used in the fill layer.
- Add a layer mask. set the foreground colour to black and click on the mask icon for this layer.
- Select the paint brush and use a medium sized soft brush. Paint around the edges of the vignette to uncover any bits that have been hidden by it and which you want to show.
- Finally, click on the monochrome image layer and from the filter menu add some nose (guassian, monchrome) to taste.

I hope thats reasonably clear, I was trying to make it easy to follow for anyone not used to PS. Let me know if anything needs clarifying.
(Its actually simpler than it sounds.)

It's not the wrong direction Lesley, just not the one I expected ...
this used to be the joy of these themes when we used to run them ... Have a look back through the themes and completions section ... We used to get a lot of stuff that was different people's interpretations of the theme ... It made them quite interesting realy ... Which is why I've started them up agian!
anyone else is also free to start themes as they see fit realy ... I'm hoping to get this award system going that will hopefully lead to people getting recognised long term for winning them

Adrian, I've merged your thread ... I'd like to keep them all in the same place ... I didn't used to but I think it works better so we can look back easier!

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice shot by the way ... And great description of the process!
Im not sure I'd be quite a heavy on the vignette, but it works!

Last edited:
Here's one from this morning

52916f62-4ff8-420f-94b9-13f30530d9fb-l

Addy plays with pavement chalk

I figured it was an old school theme - no video games or iPads involved!

Shot in color, used a 3 stop ND filter to allow me to shoot wide open at f/1.4 in sunlight for shallow DOF.

pp to B&W in NIK SIlver FX

Then toned sepia, and brightness adjusted to overexpose slightly - contrast reduced, and sharpness reduced to make it look more film like.

Negative vignette applied to bleach the sides on the image - and a simple old style photo frame added, again in sepia/aged color.

Thin black edge applied to define the image boundary for posting online.

Last edited:
Back