WARNING POSSIBLE SCAM!! PLEASE READ

Oliver Lee-Haswell

Trade Member: RedBox Cameras
---------------- Message from RPF TEAM ----------------

RPF as a third part to this will not be held responsible for the content of this thread
We are allowing this to stand as the evidence does seem to strongly point to the fact that the website in question is a scam site ...
We therefore feel it the responsible thing to do to bring this to the attention of our users!

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is a website out there which is using our shop address as its address!! as far as we can tell this site is not legitimate as we have fielded several calls from customers asking where products are, or if we are them!

i wont post the web address here but just know that they are offering EVERYTHING really cheap and wont send out your items.

they take your credit card numbers, and then ask for a bank transfer of the money (suspicious in itself).

OUR address is :

REDBOX CAMERAS
5 Monson Road
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN1 1LS

so if you end up on the site and that is the contact address and its not our site (OnLine supplier for Cameras - Binoculars & Accessories – RedBoxcameras.com) then would probably be best not to order anything from them.

Oliver

On a more cheerful note HAPPY CHRISTMAS everyone

Why can't you post there website?
I'm happy for you to do so for the sake of protecting our members at very least!
If they are using your address and are not you then surely they are commuting fraud?
Have you contacted the police and trading standards?

well as you asked.

wells-cameras.com <- dont use it they are bad people!

we have contacted trading standards, goverment agencies, police (local and metropolitan), and the isp to try and have it taken down. As it stands we have no one left to contact and are just spreading the word to make sure people know about them.

I'm glad you posted the URL...I was looking at this site the other day as they had a cheap-ish Olympus body I was contemplating.
:eek:
I'm glad I prefer to shop locally where I can...

Less than ideal!
Keep us posted on progress with this ...
I'd love to be able to help more but I think as a forum we sort have have to say neutral to this sort of the regardless of how dodgy it looks
I'm very happy for this info to stay here and if its still going on in the new year I'll do my best to spread the word a bit more!
Have you brought it up on the Pixel forums if imagine they might have some advice ...?

We see a fair number of scams at work - people setting up domains that are similar to real companies, then emailing you saying they want to buy a whole bunch of stuff.

If you ever ship anything, you'll never see the money, as it's just a scam to get stuff for free.

They are very inventive with the domains, same idea as the camera store, always pick something very similar which could be the real company - They even research names of people who work there to get past a casual inspection or the quick 'does so and so work there' call you might make to check them out.

I usually go to a WHOIS service, and check when the domain was actiavted, and who it's registered to.

You usually see a recent listing, and some other name address than the company's - and that's a definite red flag

Only takes 30 second to check - WHOIS Search for Domain Registration Information | Network Solutions

Registrar: FastDomain Inc.
Provider Name....: Netfirms, Inc.
Provider Whois...: whois.fastdomain.com
Provider Homepage: Web Hosting, Domain Name Registration! - Affordable Web Hosting and Domain Name Search

Domain Name: WELLS-CAMERAS.COM

Created on..............: 2011-07-22 09:55:14 GMT
Expires on..............: 2012-07-22 09:55:14 GMT
Last modified on........: 2011-07-29 14:54:45 GMT

Registrant Info: (FAST-12785284)
Fastdomain.com
Fastdomain Inc
1958 South 950 East
Provo, Utah 84606
United States
Phone: +1.8017659400
Fax..: +1.8017651992
Email: whois@fastdomain.com
Last modified: 2010-12-06 18:57:03 GMT

Administrative Info: (FAST-12785284)
Fastdomain.com
Fastdomain Inc
1958 South 950 East
Provo, Utah 84606
United States

Technical Info: (FAST-12785284)
Fastdomain.com
Fastdomain Inc
1958 South 950 East
Provo, Utah 84606
United States

Domain servers in listed order:

NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
=-=-=-=

We see a fair number of scams at work - people setting up domains that are similar to real companies, then emailing you saying they want to buy a whole bunch of stuff.

If you ever ship anything, you'll never see the money, as it's just a scam to get stuff for free.

They are very inventive with the domains, same idea as the camera store, always pick something very similar which could be the real company - They even research names of people who work there to get past a casual inspection or the quick 'does so and so work there' call you might make to check them out.

I usually go to a WHOIS service, and check when the domain was actiavted, and who it's registered to.

You usually see a recent listing, and some other name address than the company's - and that's a definite red flag

Only takes 30 second to check - WHOIS Search for Domain Registration Information | Network Solutions

Registrar: FastDomain Inc.
Provider Name....: Netfirms, Inc.
Provider Whois...: whois.fastdomain.com
Provider Homepage: Web Hosting, Domain Name Registration! - Affordable Web Hosting and Domain Name Search

Domain Name: WELLS-CAMERAS.COM

Created on..............: 2011-07-22 09:55:14 GMT
Expires on..............: 2012-07-22 09:55:14 GMT
Last modified on........: 2011-07-29 14:54:45 GMT

Registrant Info: (FAST-12785284)
Fastdomain.com
Fastdomain Inc
1958 South 950 East
Provo, Utah 84606
United States

Administrative Info: (FAST-12785284)
Fastdomain.com
Fastdomain Inc
1958 South 950 East
Provo, Utah 84606
United States

Technical Info: (FAST-12785284)
Fastdomain.com
Fastdomain Inc
1958 South 950 East
Provo, Utah 84606
United States

Domain servers in listed order:

NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
=-=-=-=

If we are happy that this is definitely a scam and not some sort of silly error of some sort then I'm happy to help a bit more?

I don't mean to sound like I don't believe you Oliver ... I honestly and completely do ...
I just have to be very careful what I do or allow people to do within these virtual walls when it come to things like this ...

Sorry not replied to this.

I understand Hamish when/where/why/what can be posted (one of the reasons i didnt want to post the link) as this IS a public forum.

Although i can not say that it is a scam as i have not ordered or been cheated out of anything from them, they are using OUR address without permission.

We have contacted them and they dont acknowledge us or even respond to calls/emails/fax (i know FAX!!!) so something is not right.

I can only comment on what i know and have been told, in essence i am passing this on to you from people who have called us here at the shop.

IF you place an order with them, you are asked your credit card details including relevant CV2 checks etc... then as you click order, a window pops up asking you instead to do a money transfer in to their bank account, (we have the number and passed it on to relevant people - a kind person who was done out of christmas present gave it to us). After a while you wont receive the item, you will be charged if you did the money transfer, and you wont have a foot to stand on to get your money back.

***THE ABOVE NOTE IS SPECULATION AND FROM MY OWN VOICE NOTHING TO DO WITH REDBOX CAMERAS********

So far Police have been around to check on us if we exist and under what name! - I think someone sent them well over £3K and so got the police in as quick as they could, we have reported them to several places including government and independent rogue trade sites and all we can do now is wait.

Hopefully not many people were stung from it

To me the Camera site looks like a copy of this site:
Computers, Displays, Networking, Storage, Printing & Ink, Accessories, Servers, Software, Point of Sale | ht.com.au

read the terms here and it is from that site:
Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions | Purchasing Information | ht.com.au

some of the images on the camera site are trying to load from title best-technology-shop.com

Whois Lookup | Domain Availability - Registration Information

look at the street address on that !

all looks a bit fishy.

well as you asked.

wells-cameras.com <- dont use it they are bad people!

we have contacted trading standards, goverment agencies, police (local and metropolitan), and the isp to try and have it taken down. As it stands we have no one left to contact and are just spreading the word to make sure people know about them.

Oliver,

suggest you contact the ISP hosting the website - explain the issue, and ask them to shut the site down

The ISP is here: https://my.fastdomain.com/cgi/help

They have telephone support, including legal dept - and you should point out that one of their customers is currently engaged in illegal activity, and this breaks the terms and conditions for the hosting.

You also want the contact details of the person(s) who set up the domain - worth asking, although they may not give that up.

Get a legal contact at the ISP - and pas that info to the Police as well.

Cut them off at the source.

There are rules in place on the InterNet to allow ISPs and InterNic, to shut down illegal sites - and you can use these to your advantage.

Oliver,

suggest you contact the ISP hosting the website - explain the issue, and ask them to shut the site down

The ISP is here: https://my.fastdomain.com/cgi/help

They have telephone support, including legal dept - and you should point out that one of their customers is currently engaged in illegal activity, and this breaks the terms and conditions for the hosting.

You also want the contact details of the person(s) who set up the domain - worth asking, although they may not give that up.

Get a legal contact at the ISP - and pas that info to the Police as well.

Cut them off at the source.

There are rules in place on the InterNet to allow ISPs and InterNic, to shut down illegal sites - and you can use these to your advantage.

thanks for the extra info, we have been in touch with them via e-mail but i am not sure what extra is happening.

we will chase them up again soon, after the dust on christmas/new year has settled

Nice! :)

was just about to post that it had been removed, thanks Hamish.

good news is i dont think many people got hit, bad news is today we had a letter from someone wondering where the item was that they ordered :(

Back