Weather In Uk And Europe

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Hope everyone over the pond is ok after the storms and tidal surge?

As a binman, Thursday was a bit difficult working in the gales and driving rain, bins blowing all over the place.
The guy I was working with had a bin lid blow up with a particularly strong gust and struck him across the bridge of his nose and drawing blood from a cut:eek:.

I didn't laugh of course;).

Never know how much the news blows things up - but then again I had to look on the BBC website to know anything bad was happening - nothing on CNN :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that folks have survived the storm

Well The Daily Mail told us that an arctic storm was going to hit the UK and kill us all but the reality was that some areas were hit pretty bad but these were mostly coastal areas and the worse affected was up north. On the east coast of England a few thousand people were evacuated because the stormy whether coincided with an abnormally high tide apparently. I think in a few areas it was pretty serious but as usual that gets overshadowed by all the people who make a drama out of nothing, they seem to be the ones who shout about it the most. It is a bit like it when we have our few inches of snow, you would think we've been hit by the nuclear winter.

I lived in Washington, DC for 20 years...an inch of snow closed the place. I moved back to Boston...2 ft...the next day...the roads were clean...in Boston. Outside of Boston...people couldn't get out of their house. It's all about perspective I guess.

I must say we feel bad about what happens to south and west coast of England these days, as well as now Surrey and many other places. There are floods and devastating destruction to properties all about and it does not seem to stop.

I must say we feel bad about what happens to south and west coast of England these days, as well as now Surrey and many other places. There are floods and devastating destruction to properties all about and it does not seem to stop.

I've experienced worst single storms here in Cornwall, but with these being so relentless, one day sunshine, the next one or two days storms, which has been so since December, it has gradually taken it's toll. We have no train service which is due to be up and running again in March sometime. My sister is coming down for a a few days and being bussed from Bristol to Plymouth, which will add a lot of time to an already eight and a half hour journey. Ive not been able to photograph the storms, being on crutches at the moment it is a bit risky, I cannot get out of the way if I needed to. There have been many dramatic storms with the sea's covering many houses on the sea front. Although that is not unusual. I think the end is in sight, although there is rain on the horizon, not quite as much and the winds are not expected to be as strong. February in Cornwall is often fantastic and March we really feel the air warming. This it is not the case so far.

I've experienced worst single storms here in Cornwall, but with these being so relentless, one day sunshine, the next one or two days storms, which has been so since December, it has gradually taken it's toll. We have no train service which is due to be up and running again in March sometime. My sister is coming down for a a few days and being bussed from Bristol to Plymouth, which will add a lot of time to an already eight and a half hour journey. Ive not been able to photograph the storms, being on crutches at the moment it is a bit risky, I cannot get out of the way if I needed to. There have been many dramatic storms with the sea's covering many houses on the sea front. Although that is not unusual. I think the end is in sight, although there is rain on the horizon, not quite as much and the winds are not expected to be as strong. February in Cornwall is often fantastic and March we really feel the air warming. This it is not the case so far.
I really hope things are to change to the better for you all Julian. It is lovely down by you all when weather is all right.

Wishing for drier and calmer conditions for those down south - didn't realize it was so bad :(

I was in the Highlands yesterday and no problems whatsoever .... A great day for photography, well for me anyway :)

Just to rub it in, two shots in Edinburgh today. I dug out the Fuji xS1 for fun...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bad forecast from tomorrow for the whole week, so I made the most of it with a seven-mile walk.

Astonished at the weather in the south and west of England and Wales...

Back