Whisky

A mate of mine was telling me about that port wood stuff not long ago... Is it nice?

I have one against previous ideals and bought my self a laphroaig 10 ... There is a corner shop opposite my office that sells a few nice bottles, they are selling it discounted for Xmas for some reason - £28!

Also have a Auchentoshan 'three wood' coming to me for Xmas day!

News years resolution ... Collect my self a few nice bottles! :)

Which port wood Hamish? the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is VERY nice!

Good old Laphroai 10 - a good solid Islay Peaty malt :)

Hoping for a Talisker Storm and an Ardbeg a'Bunadh for Birthday/Christmas :)

The US version is the same whisky.

US "Proof" units are different from UK "Proof" units.

E.g. a standard 40% ABV Whisky is 70.1 UK Proof but 8o US Proof.

My last bottle of Aberlour a'Bunadh was 62% ABV (It varies with each batch) - that's 109/124 Proof! Yikes!
Beg to differ, Dave. I know they say it's the same, but the stuff here is stronger. (I'm not referring to your special extra strength distillations, just the average stuff.) I've purchased whisky here in the USA and carried it back with me. When you try two of the same whiskys, one for US consumption and the other for UK consumption, in a side-by-side comparison, you can feel the strength difference.

Mmmm, I'm going to check Brian - I have something in mind...

hic.JPG

:)

A mate of mine was telling me about that port wood stuff not long ago... Is it nice?

That welsh one Glenn mentioned ...

I tried a wee dram in the Penderyn Distilery and I liked it so I bought a bottle. But I have put it away for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2015 so haven't had a real proper go at it yet:rolleyes:.

I'm building up a little collection now ...

An Aberlour 10 - which is ok...
Laphroaig 10 - didn't expect to like this, but bloody hell its nice ... it makes you want to go back for more a bit too much!
Macallan fine oak - which is at work for those near xmas end of day tipples (shhh) ...
And a Auchentochen 3 wood on the way for christmas
Monkey Shoulder is next on the list as I had it when out the other day and it was lovely ... and is quite cheap it seems!

I feel like I have a LOT to learn ... but its damned enjoyable learning it :)

I may have to come over and help you get through those, Hamish. (Only to help you clear space more quickly of course.;))

Aren't they pretty enough to just leave them all over the house Hamish?
I have never found one that I really dislike...but that 15 year old Glenlivet is waiting for 5 o'clock. :cool:@Brian Moore

single malts.jpg

Back