X-Pro1 better than D800?

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Is the X-Pro1 from Fuji, capable of producing better looking images than Nikon's new flagship D800?

Montreal based photographer, Patrick La Roque, seems to think so!

He's downloaded the full size sample images from the manufacturer websites for the D800 and X-Pro1, and he's been comparing them in Aperture at high magnification.

laROQUE_xpro_sample2_2.jpg

35mm @ f2 - zoomed to approx 100%

His conclusions are very interesting...

But as opposed to Nikon, I believe Fuji have achieved the right balance with this new X-Trans sensor and their approach to resolving the low-pass filter conundrum. And I’m convinced this is also the best megapixel count for an APS-C sensor. 36MP is pushing it — sorry.

Bottom line: I want to work with this system. Not just play. Work. There’s no way around it.

Wowed | X-Pro1 sensor delivers. Seriously. - blog - laROQUE

A chap named Darren Eagles has made a good point on our facebook page by saying
He says "And I’m convinced this is also the best megapixel count for an APS-C sensor. 36MP is pushing it — sorry" The D800 is a Full Frame sensor, not APS-C!! This is apples and oranges. Get your facts straight before spouting online!
A very good point ...

But non the less, the fuji shots do look rather nice!

...and an 8×10 Sinar will produce higher quality than a Nikon F6. So what? Try shooting sports with an 8×10!

If sheer quality is the only criteria, then perhaps, but the X-pro1 and D800 are as fundamentally different as two pro-level digital cameras can be. One factor out of a whole range of factors, and any camera comparison must compare cameras as a whole. In the case of these two cameras, it is almost impossible, since they operate within very different contexts.

At this time in the evolution of digital camera technology, I have no feeling whatever that the D800 is "pushing it". The D7000 with similar pixel density does just fine, and is two years older technology. In 2012, 24-36MP should be seen as normal. When I bought my D700, there was almost a mathematical relationship between pixel density, noise and high-ISO performance. That was five years ago when the D3/D700 sensor was current. Times have changed, the relationship no longer holds. A 36MP full frame sensor is just not that special.

While the D800 mitochondrial DNA is clearly that of film SLRs, the DNA of the X-Pro1 is that of rangefinders. Had Kyocera not killed the Contax brand, and had Contax been able to evolve a digital version of their G2 camera, it would almost certainly be very much like the XP1. The experiences of shooting a D800 and an XP1 will be very different—so different that one can not compare. My XP1 is on order, but my D700 has no fear of parting from me. Each serves a very different need and there is virtually no cross-over.

That said, I have very high expectations for the XP1. I feel that most sample pictures tell a lot more about the photographer than they do about the camera, but clearly the camera delivers. The D800E has no effective AA filter, and leaves it up to the photographer whether one is needed. Clearly in a perfect storm of circumstances, moire will impact an image from time to time. Fuji has abandoned the venerable Bayer mosaic for the colour filter array based upon a 6×6 rather than a 2×2 cell, with a pseudo-random arrangement that is meant to simulate film. No AA filter needed under any circumstances—if this truly works. With no need for an AA filter, the full potential of lens and sensor should be achieved.

As an aside, I was reading about the X100 in DPReview. It either has no AA filter, or the very lightest of AA filters, and they reported that it comes very close to achieving the full potential of its 12MP sensor. Even with an arsenal of excellent Nikon glass, I feel it is my sharpest prime. Not only that, but it comes with a lovely little camera hanging off its back.

So based upon pre-production and early production samples, for the single criterion of image quality the XP1 may well be the finest 16MP, APS-C camera, and sort of in the same league as the D800 with-full frame 36MP, with and without an AA filter. I certainly would not presume to judge. However, I do have the XP1 and three lenses on order, but not the D800—so obviously, I voted with my wallet. My "ancient" D700 is doing just fine for dSLR duties and may continue to do so for the rest of my life.

Have to agree with Larry on this one. Before I even read his comments, I was thinking the same thing - apples to oranges comparison. It's a bit like comparing a track car to a street car. I, for one, love the idea and the specs of the D800E and would own one if it would accommodate all my Canon lenses. I would also like to own an X-pro 1, but I would use it more for casual shots and travel - not architecture.

Hey guys, Patrick here... I posted the following update to my original post:
UPDATE Darren Eagles rightfully pointed out the following on the Real Photographers Forum FB page:

“THE D800 IS A FULL FRAME SENSOR, NOT APS-C!! THIS IS APPLES AND ORANGES. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE SPOUTING ONLINE!”

Ahem… Well, not sure I “spout” per say… But this was certainly a huge mind freeze on my part. Of course the D800 is a full frame sensor not APS-C. What I was mentally comparing it too was the D4’s similar 16MP count which feels like a better fit in my entirely subjective humble opinion. But then I didn’t write that at all, so my bad. /UPDATE

I also amended myself on the FB page. In a gist, the reason I'm comparing the two is entirely based on personal needs and questions I'm asking myself with regards to my next purchase. It's based on my reaction to what I've seen so far of the two cameras and how it's affecting my decision.

It is apples to oranges. Question is: which one do I want to eat next ;)

Hi Patrick...
Thanks for joining and clarifying ... these things seem to cause some heat in some peoples reactions ... your response to that "heat" is commendable!
Welcome to the forum!
I look forward to reading your thoughts about which ever fruit you bite ...
Feel free to stick around, unlike a lot of forums we are quite happy to allow people to promote their blogs by posting excerpts of articles with a link to the article to its self ... adds to the richness of this place etc!

just so you are aware though, squarespace might be doing you an injustice
I got this clicking on the first 2 links in your "featured" block
home - laROQUE
contains content from
s3.media.squarespace.com
, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found that malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed. Why not try again tomorrow or go somewhere else?​
We have already notified
s3.media.squarespace.com
that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on s3.media.squarespace.com, visit the Google
Safe Browsing diagnostic page

Hi Patrick and welcome to RPF. I thought your comments pretty interesting. I don't tend to get drawn into these comparison 'discussions' and, like you I suspect (and many other here on RPF), tend to choose systems based on need. For me Nikon is a good choice for both film and digital SLRs as I have so many lenses plus other optical equipment that has a Nikon mount. The Fuji systems certainly seem to be excellent and are getting good reviews and I am certainly interested to see how the X1 Pro performs / handles etc. Probably won't go there myself as I use an M9 and have a fair bit of Leica glass and am happy with that experience / quality. I'm still looking for something that could replace my pocket camera though (Ricoh GR Digital III). The IV isn't it and neither are the Fujis but something might come along at some point. I have a specific interest in the high MP count of the D800E but not as an everyday camera.

Anyway, that aside, welcome again to RPF. I'm sure you'll enjoy this place.

Thank you both for the warm welcome!
I usually don't delve into either gear wars or pixel peeping either. What counts in the end is what works. This comparison post was the fruit of several previous interrogations regarding my next "upgrade", which is why I went there in this particular instance. And clearly, I made a pretty big error - stupid really because I obviously knew the difference - and got taken to task. Fair game as far as I'm concerned…

This looks like a great community and I'll be looking forward to reading and sharing as well.
Regarding the malware warnings: sigh. If only I got them on my end as well, I could at least do check ups to see if I've gotten rid of them. I just verified my sites with Google's Webmaster tools and all is fine. I'll need to contactSquarespace again if the errors don't go away - which probably won't happen since the domain targeted is s3.squarespace.com.

It seems to be a cross-domain problem when I first imported my blog to their system… After getting tired of dealing with malware attacks on my Wordpress install (!). Yes, ironic isn't it?

Take care :)

Chrome here ...

On a completely different note ... There is a shot on your site of a chap in a bar standing next to another chap kissing someone...
Of you ever feel the urge to tell me exactly how to achive that "look" ... Run with the urge ... Please ;)

Welcome to the forum Patrick! :)

Oh! That guy...

Chrome here ...

On a completely different note ... There is a shot on your site of a chap in a bar standing next to another chap kissing someone...
Of you ever feel the urge to tell me exactly how to achive that "look" ... Run with the urge ... Please ;)

Just realized which shot you were talking about - first one on my homepage right? I was thinking about the blog and this was a gig… hence my confusion ;)

That's a D300 shot with all the post done in Aperture 3, using only its native tools (no plugins). The room was already quite warm and I used bounced flash to give me some directional light and… well, basically to give me some light, it was pretty dark ;)

I really wanted to convey the atmosphere of the night though, so tried to balance with the ambient as much as possible. In post I mostly went with overall desaturation as well as selective desaturation on certain colours in a few areas (the guy kissing the girl was a bit too reddish). One thing I use quite extensively in AP3 are the Tint Wheels. I like playing with a slight tinting of the blacks and - sometimes - mids (gray). I've posted about it here if you're curious: Dissecting the Look

Funny I couldn't place that shot when you mentioned it… I happen to like it a lot. One of those moments…
Later

I read that article ... None of these things are things that I am not already doing in Lightroom ....
I desat an tint a lot too
Selective desaturation is a wonderful thing...
Even your go to tone curve isnt a million miles from what I often do

It's the sharpness and almost three dimensional look that I can't quite get right...
Is there and trick to sharpening? Noise control?
Maybe I just need to be better at the original photo taking part ...
But I just can't quite work out how that sort of atmos is achived...?

Good morning Hamish :)
I'll sometimes accentuate dimension by brushing in various types of curves but I have to say that yes, it does start with the original capture and namely the lighting. I looked at this specific file in Aperture to make sure I hadn't done anything special but there's very little there apart from what I already mentioned. There's even just the one global curve in this case. So the original image looks very close except for the overall toning.

The directional light is what shapes everything in this scene. I was using an SB-900 on camera but zoomed at maximum and always aimed at very steep angles, away from the subjects, constantly changing it according to the scene and what I was bouncing off of. I would then drag the shutter to get the right amount of ambient.

I wish I could give you a post recipe but there's very little to say about this one. It all mostly happened before the file made it to the computer.

Sorry if I'm not much help here :(

knowing what is and what isn't camera is as useful as anything else you can tell me!
Cheers for the tips, nothin im not already doing really ... I just need to be doing it better ;)
Just need to practice more ... Unfortunately the web side of my work is taking over my time at the mo, so less time is available for such things ... But it won't be fore ever...

Back