Ads for advertising

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I'm thinking of placing a few adds in the forum area ... Google ones ...
I know, the notion of it makes me feel slightly sick too!
But... It's a means to an end
And... This is the important bit:
A. They won't be visible to logged in members ... I'm always logged in, I'm guessing most regulars are?
B. I'm going to position them sparingly and sensibly so as not to disrupt the flow even for non members
C. They will be clearly labled as saying "not visible to logged in members" so people who find them annoying can join up knowing they will go away

Unfortunately this is becoming an essential move ...
The ongoing costs of this place have been able to be kept relatively low, mainly because hosting has been somewhat swallowed up into the shared server that F8 Creates already pays for for it's clients.
Unfortunately we are getting to a point that we are using up a bit to much of its resources for it to be manageable for much longer! So we are going to look at getting a dedicated VPS (virtual private server) for the forum ...
This is going to cost about £50 a month with all the little extras and bits an bobs I want to use to get it running as well as possible...
So, I need to raise at least £50 a month ... current advertising is making about £5.50 a month as can be seen by looking at my adsense monitoring app

23908b6d.jpg

Currently we can not justify charging that amount to te small companies that I'd like to have advertise on here ...
So, the idea is to get some ads in the forum, raise a bit more money for the server, and of there is anything left over its going to go toward paying for advertising for the forum

We haven't really pushed to make any money before concentrating on the "content is king" way (as Mark puts it) ... ... The key to this move is going to be finding the balance between making the place make a few extra ££ but not changing the overall feel for logged in members. As well as this, the feel of the forum needs to come accros to potential members!

The other impetuous in this move is that F8 Creates is expanding, we have taken on a member of staff, with one more in the pipeline within the next month and another planed for September (an apprentice) ... We are also moving into an office in town. We are getting more clients a lot quicker these days, have achived 50% growth in our second year (smug face) and fully intend to keep going this way.
Because of this we obviously need to free up server resources (as I said) but it also means that we will have more space for forum related activities! The space we are looking at is big enough to have a studio set up ... And longer term could house an RPF employee!
Ok, with our current £5.50 a month turnover that is probably a way off yet ... And may never happen... But I have to start taking steps in the right direction

To sum up, I hope I can rely on support from everyone in making this step ... I hope google adds won't be a part of this place forever... But for now needs must! And like I said, it shouldn't make any difference to logged in members!

Your thoughts?

I think this is more than fair..I can live with most adverts unless they start opening new windows, etc and refusing to go away, and I don't suppose thats the kind of thing you're considering.

I assume the adverts will be photo related so some of us might even find the odd one useful.

Go for it, Hamish! It's not a big deal to me. (And if I see the ads I'll click on them to add a penny or two to the RPF coffers.)

Makes perfect sense to me - I always assumed you'd be doing this to some extent as a business - hence the need to make some dosh.

That's te plan long term Chris
As someone who runs a business that this forum uses the resources an time of it has to make some money, even of it is just to cover its costs
It's a bit of a sore subject in the office sometimes especially times when something stops working and I take time out of my working day to fix it ...
Cost covering is the plan for now as I say, and I think it will be for a while ... I'd like this place to do really well, have people working for the forum as a job ... And even then I can't see me being driven by profits as such
The money we have raised before (from imsl) covered a good few weeks of development to get it to the look and feel we now have (I'm sure you remember?)
We also donated 10% to charity (£150) is still sat in the bank waiting for a good charitable opportunity ... And that is something I want to continue
I also want this place to be something that helps smaller businesses ie offering advertising space cheaper or even just running fetures on smaller business ... Things like that
As well as that I want to use it to bring exposure to individuals ... Letting people promote thier blogs etc
Stuff that bigger websites seem to frown on ...
Of course it might not work, I might discover the reasons that that sort of thin is frowned upon
I might need a paid moderation team to allow that to happen
It might not even ever become that successful ...
But in the mean while I have to take the steps to attempt to get it there!
Even if some of them don't necessarily sit well with me ... Like google ads and skimlinks
The key though for me is taking it slow ... We have been doing this for nearly two years now!
By some peoples standards I imagine that what we have achieved in that time would be a bit crap as a business .. In fact as a business it is very obviously a huge failure ... But as the opposite, a freindly community of photographers collectively building a rich resource we have achieved a hell of a lot! That is what is most important, and indeed what I am most driven by...
I suppose it makes most sense to think of my role as 2 things ... Opposing things at that...
The first is the me you talk to on here
The second is me as part of F8 Creates ... F8 Creates has to look at it objectively, concerns it's self with things I'd rather not were involved (money) but is also responsible for it looking and working as well as it does and needs a bit of take to go with the give ...

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that yes, money, business all that is a factor ... I was once told that ephotozine sell banners on thier site for 10's of thousands of pounds (I was told that by a past advertiser) ... Who wouldn't be driven by that prospect?!? But for me it's about finding a way to channel that drive in to something positive not just more money...
And I can honestly say that is a reflection of me as a person ... I don't struggle for money to badly (although the last 3 years has been harder). I have most of what I want in life so I don't strive for more money really ... But I've not had the smoothest existence on record, and I am one of those people who some psychologists would probably say has something to prove ... That manifests its self as a drive for success ... Something to show for my self etc
And I guess this place probably comes under that header

I hope that chunk of info straying into possibly unnecessary openness serves to make my position and the position of the F8 as clear as possible anyway ... I just really don't want people thinking I look at this place with pound signs in my eyes ... Because that is very far from the reality

Cheers all!
I know we have kinda been here before ... But we are now at another juncture and I need to take some action as soon as I can rather than just vaguely thinking about it all ...
Just got to get the adds working now :)

Should be there now!
I've had an idea...
If I make it so logged in users can't see it we might get people joining just to get rid of it ...
I'd rather that members were people that wante to have a part in the forum, not just people wanting shot of the add
So I'm thinking I'll make it so the add disappears for people who post regularly or who have more than a certain amount of posts to thier name ... That way the privalidge of add free RPF is saved for those of us who put something in ...
How does that sound?

I logged out and saw the add for Blurb. I clicked on it and went through a few links on it. Then I logged back in. Ad gone. All worked well.

I'm guessing since I clicked the add does RPF now get a tiny bit of revenue?

0.19p thanks Brian
:)

Excuse me posting under this name ... i'm tinkering :)

It's against googles rules for me to encourage or discourage clicks
So as much as I can be gracious for the thought I can't really comment more than that :)

I'm a free man, dammit! I live in a free country, dammit! Don't not tell me what not to do!;)

Whether you comment or not I'll be a-clickin'! :p

Why? Because I LOVE reading ads! ;)

Back