Couple of bugs from Wales.

Glen Roberts

I gave the Tammy 90mm a little run out in Wales:D.

Rose Chafer.
RoseChafer2-1.jpg

Green Shieldbug.
GreenShieldBug.jpg

Shieldbug.
ShieldBug.jpg

Broad Bodied Chaser.
BroadBodiedChaser.jpg

My favorite here is the shieldbug with its shadow. Nice collection.

The bright white on the shot of the rose cafer is a little tough on my eyes. Maybe lower the exposure for that part of the image? I definitely like the link between the flowers and the cafer though.

Amazing .........you must have some patience, these are brilliant as usual. I mean look at the detail on the wings Broad Bodied Chaser.

I think my fav is the green Shield Bug he looks beastly almost dinosaur ish lol......... How big are these creepers glen to give us an idea.

Now i need a trip to skomer and a macro lens.........i am not looking at you post anymore glen, things are getting expensive haha

Amazing .........you must have some patience, these are brilliant as usual. I mean look at the detail on the wings Broad Bodied Chaser.

I think my fav is the green Shield Bug he looks beastly almost dinosaur ish lol......... How big are these creepers glen to give us an idea.

Now i need a trip to skomer and a macro lens.........i am not looking at you post anymore glen, things are getting expensive haha

I hit lucky with the chaser, it was sitting on a plant over a fence but as I was leaning over the fence I almost went too far and ended up in the drink:eek:.

The size of the Shieldbugs are about 10-15mm and the Rose Chafer about 15-20mm in length.

BTW I think a Macro lens is about the only thing missing from your arsenal there Darren;).... Go on you know you want too...lol.

lmao........ok will buy your tammy for £100..........Deal or No Deal............??

unbelievable how big and close up and detail you can get with these macros lens's isn't it............o gawd i feel another purchase coming on haha

lmao........ok will buy your tammy for £100..........Deal or No Deal............??
As kind as that offer is Darren I think I'll have to say "No Deal":D:D.

Great shots mate!
Tell ne this though, whilst in Wales we had a convo about shieldbugs ... I'm sure they have a proper Latin name or whatnot, but is shieldbug there actual other name ... Does that make sense? It just sounds like a made up name!

They're a member of the order Hemiptera, the true bugs which feed using piercing and sucking mouth parts. The Shield Bugs are part of one of the sub-orders and are named after the shield-like thickened extension to their thorax that extends over the abdomen. So it a common name applied to a group of Bugs with a similar shape and appearance.

There are quite a few species of "Shieldbug" each with their own Latin name and as Pete has said the term "Shieldbug" comes from the shape of the body casing resembling a Shield.

The two I've posted are;
First one. Latin Name Palomena prasina, Common Name: Green Shieldbug

Second one is a nymph (young one;)) of Latin name: Pentatoma rufipes, Common Name: Forest Bug.

Back