DIY

G

Graeme Harvey

I don't claim to be an expert on DIY by any stretch if the imagination, but we have a goodly number of members on here who obviously do a bit of DIY every now and again. So, here's a thought... if anyone has a question about doing it themselves, there's bound to be someone who's had a bit of experience in that area, whether it be decorating, plastering, plumbing, electrics, joinery, glazing, carpet fitting and so on.

So why not also use this are for posting any queries and stuff you have about how much you should tighten that olive connector, or how many coats of gloss can I successfully put on without stripping the skirting board back again...?
;)

So why not also use this are for posting any queries and stuff you have about how much you should tighten that olive connector, or how many coats of gloss can I successfully put on without stripping the skirting board back again...?
;)

Finger tight then nip up 1/4 turn with the wrench.

Depends on how badly the woodwork was prepared and how thick the existing coats are, generaly though, no more than 3.

I see we've found the font of all knowledge regarding DIY. Splendid!

:D

Personally I prefer DDIY ......... Don't Do It Yourself:rolleyes::eek:.
Unfortunately my wife makes me:(:(.

I would dearly love to make a joke with some idiotic advice involving a paper clip, mains electricity and your tongue. Problem is that some plonker would probably stumble on this post follow the advice and electrocute themselves and then try to sue me.

It's a terrible world sometimes. I once saw a jar of Peanut Butter that had the warning "Warning contains peanuts".

My wife knows my feelings on electricity so won't ask me to do anything with them.
My feelings are, "If you can't see it, hear it or smell it then don't F#*k with it":eek:;).

My feelings are, "If you can't see it, hear it or smell it then don't F#*k with it":eek:;).

My sentiments exactly ... Gravity is the one that pickles me... I mean really who came up with gravity? The thing I hate about it the most is the numbers on the scales is makes when Hannah stands on them... She doesn't half get in a fuss... If only I could invent a localised anti gravity device I could make my Hannah so much happier!

My sentiments exactly ... Gravity is the one that pickles me... I mean really who came up with gravity? The thing I hate about it the most is the numbers on the scales is makes when Hannah stands on them... She doesn't half get in a fuss... If only I could invent a localised anti gravity device I could make my Hannah so much happier!

Easy.. When the red reminder comes for the gravity, just don't pay the bill, you'll get cut off and hey presto. What are you weighting for?

Took my downstairs bath out this evening

First go at plumbing an it doesn't leak either... No Paul I didn't have the right tools, I used an adjustable spanner and on of those things that looks like a claw

7050a751.jpg

It's where the dogs sleep now

1238f9c0.jpg

Be gone old bath and stuff

0dcc7329.jpg

I win... I know it looks crap still but the dogs needed more room for a bigger bed

I have a question though, obviously I turned the water off, but now it's on, it's really spluttery .... Does that mean anything?

Yes - you got some air in the water pipes during the demo - just run the taps all round for a bit and you should be good

BTW - that new position for your bath looks a little... exposed LOL!

Good stuff, I guessed I hadn't actually broke anything, but it's good to hear for sure...

We are thinking about making it into a pond for the garden :)

Although that said, aparently second hand baths have value?

When I moved to the US, I quickly discovered a new DIY phrase - the 'honey do list'.

I'm sure you can work out what that's all about! :mad:

Any way - after making some outlandish claims about my DIY skills, and pitching to SWMBO that I could buy all the power tools I needed to do the kitchen, and still have money left over Vs getting a contractor in - I was awarded the contract :p

Stripped the old kitchen out, down to the bare walls (the easy and fun part)

before.jpg

Then spent literally months laying hardwood floor, building IKEA cabinets, doing lighting, tiling etc etc..

And the reveal....

after.jpg

Learnt a lot - including how to keep your mouth shut so as to avoid doing large DIY projects! :cool:

The only thing we got pros in for (the counters) - they f'd up, and had to do again - typical!

I now have a garage containing every power tool imaginable - most of which are quietly gathering dust ;)

Back