Just for Show Extreme Yachting

Gavin Robert

Forgotten I had a circular polarizer on from the day before but even so I was pleased with some of these.

54543g345g345g34.jpg

Good capture Gavin......... The Polariser has given it just a bit of "Angry" I like it.

Pete

Thank you Peter. In a way forgetting the CP was a blessing as you can appreciate sails can be a nightmare to balance on days like that.
I might look at doing it this way next year but realising the CP is mounted. When taking these I must admit that I was struggling to understand the results from the settings.

Brian I wasn't on a boat but I used to sail a lot and before I had a family to support and I was also a sail-maker for 6 years but that's all another story.

The only day I had free to get down and watch turned out to be cancelled just after I got there and hence why I only had a few images. Some of this video was shot from the same shore on a good race day and gives a good perspective of possibilities.

[video=youtube;1c89lWMmA_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c89lWMmA_0[/video]

Lovely action capture - which lens were you using?

Would love to shoot some myself, looks a really exciting day out

Thanks Chris. I was using the f2.8 70-200 IS L.
I just looked at their calendar for this year but sadly they don't visit the states. In fact they won't be here next year either after switching to Wales, UK.

Living in San Diego you must have some yacht clubs your way Chris? I'd approach them and ask if you could photograph some of their dinghy class races from the committee boat. If yachting photography doesn't turn out to be your bag at least you'll have a chance to possibly meet some wonderful people.

We do indeed have a yacht club - and I missed a racing series earlier in the year with the super fast Oracle team on show in our big bay.

Will have to check out the local schedule for the summer

Back