Fell In Love with a Helios...

Matt Byrne

...but it works better on my Canon than my Nikon.

Hi there, just a guy from Plymouth that likes to push himself to find a great image. No professional training, but I did get a helping hand from my Dad who has provided me with the basics and plenty of gear free of charge! Thanks to his generosity, I have my trusty EOS 20D, whilst my wife bought me a D3300 for Christmas so I could have a modern digital at last. The switch has left me with one Nikon lens - the kit AF-P 18-55, so my Helios 44M and EF 50mm F1.8 II are my creative outlets.

I've found I use the EOS to play around with ideas and the Nikon to simply record images. I also have numerous digital and film cameras to hand. Last weekend I limited myself to a digital Ixus set to black and white at ISO400 and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I reckon there's some joy in self imposed constraints, something I had to get used to on my budget.

Not sure how it all works yet, but I've got images from the EOS and Nikon on my iPad for a flavour of what I can shoot.

Cheers,

Matt

Thank you for the welcome posts. It seems like a great community on here.

Hope these aren't too big. I downloaded them at 640 size on Flickr.

Helios 44M on the 20D.

IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1732.JPG IMG_1733.JPG

I wasn't as enamoured with the Jena 50, but it was on the Nikon and it doesn't meter like the Canon does. I'll get around to using it on that camera soon.
IMG_1734.JPG

Thanks for the feedback. The hut image was the only one I particularly liked from the Jena. The Helios images were from one small patch of woodland and it got me to really look for ideas.

Hello and welcome to you from the norseman. Was to Plymouth last year and a very nice town it is as we walked up the hill overlooking the bay. looking forward to your contributions and like the ones here.:)

That's what I like about living here, it draws in visitors from the world over. Sadly, some of my acquaintances are far too insular to appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and thank you for your reply.

Hi Matt. I've seen a lot of posts from you today, and wondered who you were. Now I know. You're Matt, from Plymouth. Good to see you making such a positive start to your time here. These images are crackers, especially the first two. Wonderful. I look forward to more from you.

Well that's really kind for a welcome. Thank you. I definitely like the content here. Very glad I found it.

I should have welcomed you before replying to your post in Landscape. Welcome to RPF from St Ives, the warmer sunnier one that is on the far side of the world!

Back