Filter Advice, Please

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I thought it would be easy to find a UV filter to provide general protection for the Hexar lens, but a quick look online brought up dozens of slightly different products, at a great variety of prices.

The lens has a 46mm thread.

I'm thinking Hoya or B+W...

But some are for digital cameras (why?). Some are clear but don't say UV. And there are scare stories of imitation Hoya's at low prices.

There is THIS

And THIS

One is a UV filter, while the other is an HMC filter - what is that?

Ta in advance...

Actually, I've just noticed I have the Hoya 46mm HMC Skylight 1B on my Mamiya C330s... I could use that, I suppose, or buy another, one for each camera...

The laugh is that the Hoya 46mm HMC Skylight 1B is described as reducing "the excessive bluishness that frequently occurs in outdoor colour photography, especially in open shade under a clear, blue sky." LOL! When does that happen round here?!

HMC is just Hoya Multi-Coated! I've used B+W (and Lee) filters for the last 30 years and recommend them highly. None too sure about all this digital / non-digital stuff though (my guess is they have some IR cut in them and maybe claim better coatings) as B+W say that the difference is only cosmetic in their range! Clear should be as it says, clear and merely provides protection. UV actually refers to a UV blocking filter to prevent under-exposure on sunny days du to built-in meters getting confused and Skylight add a touch of warmth. I tend to go for UV if I want a protective filter.

I use a lens hood as protection for my lens and don't use a filter for that purpose anymore. Seems like the glass in my lens is of far better quality than any filter especially the less expensive ones. I realize though that the filter might provide a little better protection than the hood. But I still don't want to put the lower quality additional layer of glass in front of my lens unless it is really needed.

Exceptions are when I'm photographing in an environment that may cause problems with the lens, like salt spray or dusty conditions, or when I want the effects of the filter.

Thanks, chaps. I do wonder about the optical effect of putting cheap glass in front of a quality lens. However, the Hexar is a fixed-lens camera, impossible to put a new lens on if the original gets scratched or worse. So I would feel better with something on. I have an excellent B+W 10-stop filter, Pete, so might look to them again.

I use both Hoya HMC and B+W - B+W have very nice brass threads, hence the price hike

I don't see any optical difference between them though - as long as you have a coated optic you should be in great shape.

I used to use UV(0) religiously - but have given up using them in recent years - I just use a hood now, as Ralph mentioned

The whole 'digital' designation is probably more marketing than anything IMHO - same as calling things pro or turbo or what ever

Thanks, chaps. I do wonder about the optical effect of putting cheap glass in front of a quality lens. However, the Hexar is a fixed-lens camera, impossible to put a new lens on if the original gets scratched or worse. So I would feel better with something on. I have an excellent B+W 10-stop filter, Pete, so might look to them again.

As should be obvious, an optical system can not be better than its poorest element.

I'm one of the anti filter brigade ... I haven't damaged the glass of a lens in a long time, and I've owned a lot of lenses ... So many in fact that the money I have saved in quality filters would probably replace a broken lens!
And as some will attest, I'm pretty clumsy!

Nope ... I haven't used a single filter for years now!

I have broken gear ... but you have to damage it in quite a specific way for the lens to have been saved by a filter ... If that makes sense?

Well, Rhona managed to get a big scratch on her Canon lens. Kind of scared me a bit. Don't know how she did it, mind - especially as her excuse was the classic, "It wasn't me!". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, Rhona managed to get a big scratch on her Canon lens. Kind of scared me a bit. Don't know how she did it, mind - especially as her excuse was the classic, "It wasn't me!". :rolleyes:

I think I am correct in saying the front lens in most lenses are not too costly, especially if you can fit it yourself. At least the last time I required but it was a while ago.

Back