Critique Welcomed Fuji & Basketball

Bob Jarman

Wanted to try the X-Pro1 out on some basketball. I've tried DSLRs only to be disappointed. This was fun and I am pleasantly surprised. 23 and 35 mm Fuji lenses, OVF, pre-focused, shutter-preferred (1/500sec), ISO 3200 & 6400.

ZoneFocus-20141115_001.JPG

ZoneFocus-20141115_002.JPG

ZoneFocus-20141115_003.JPG

ZoneFocus-20141115_004.JPG

ZoneFocus-20141115_005.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Bob those camera's intrigue me and often look through threads containing their results, youve got some great results here from what would otherwise not have been the first equipment to have chosen. A;ways a sense of achievement I think.

Nice action shots. Why black & white, Bob? (I like them in B&W, just wondering why you chose it. Perhaps more impact than a color set would have given?)

The X-Pro 1 seems to dropping a bit in price. Recently I saw examples for sale under $800. (On-line stores, body only of course. Still, a nice trend.)

Perfect sharpness and great tones. Pity there wasn't a bigger crowd to watch you in action ;)

Thanks Rob,

First contests of the season, interest builds and peaks around March of next year.

I prefer pretty much having the run of the place...no one jumping in the way.

Bob those camera's intrigue me and often look through threads containing their results, youve got some great results here from what would otherwise not have been the first equipment to have chosen. A;ways a sense of achievement I think.

Thanks Julian,

I downsized my Nikon kit, which I used previously with, interestingly far less satisfying results - perhaps elevated expectations accompanied that. This set is indeed more satisfying, just wanted to see if I could do it.

Nice action shots. Why black & white, Bob? (I like them in B&W, just wondering why you chose it. Perhaps more impact than a color set would have given?)

The X-Pro 1 seems to dropping a bit in price. Recently I saw examples for sale under $800. (On-line stores, body only of course. Still, a nice trend.)

Brian,

I personally prefer the BW since color seems to get in the way of shapes. Or, stated differently color to me often overrides the subject of the image - just a personal opinion and bias. Too, I believe BW tolerates a bit of an edge in the image which renders as a faux grain whereas the color edge renders as noise - hard to overlook. I prefer the edge over a somewhat creamy color image with NR applied. In short, perhaps I'm hiding the warts, and, I'm biased toward BW in this case. :)

That said, if I had a proper kit, FF, fast glass 300mm and up, on a D3s or equivalent I suspect I'd be quite happy with color :)

Re price? Yes, bought a second body over the summer. The way with technology: phones perhaps the most egregious offender. Must generate cash flow. Even so, I much prefer the feel of the X-Pro1 to anything else, X-T1 included. I like the two view finders, lack of weight, and size of the package.

Bob

Firstly I think you did very well and it reminds me of the feeling I have with my Fuji X-E1. Secondly I assume that black and white is to be preferred as colours here possibly could make a distraction to the eyes of ours as you well said as I perceive it. It goes to show it's the photographer it's all about, not so much the equipment.

Back