Fuji X - Round 2 [added Link To Blog Article]

Keith Hollister

I can't believe I'm actually writing this, but I have bought a Fuji X-E2 kit and also ordered the 23/1.4 lens. As some of you might have read on my pitiful Zenfolio blog page, I had a rather unsatisfying flirtation with the X100S a short while ago and ended up sending it back.

The Fuji virus wouldn't die - I kept being captivated by the lenses, the file characteristics and the fact that a bunch of folks I respect were all on the Fuji bandwagon. I figured it was worth another, more extended experiment, so I await the arrival of the camera and 18-55 later this week. If the first few dates go well, I will purchase the 14/2.8 and either the 60/2.4 or wait for the 56/1.2 next year. In the mean time I can survive with the zoom on the longer end and maybe pick up an adapter to use my old Nikkor 105/2.5 AI-S.

This has nothing to do with needing another camera system and everything to do with curiosity that is driving me crazy. So I guess I'm joining the ranks of Fuji owners ... again.

[UPDATE]Put a rather lengthy article on the X-E2 so far up on my blog:

http://khollister.zenfolio.com/blog

Hopefully it is somewhat entertaining and maybe even useful for someone thinking about taking the plunge.

Last edited:
Work through the manual and learn the camera thoroughly, trying whatever is on each page. Unless you have a rangefinder background, I expect it takes time to reach the comfort zone. My X100 is a direct digital replacement for the compact rangefinders I always carried after work in the film era, and I use it identically. I shot Leicas from the very beginning, but never warmed to them. They were a necessary tool, nothing more. I much preferred medium-format rangefinder cameras, but there were times when 35mm was vital.

When I first saw the Contax G2, I had every plan to dump the Leica stuff and move up the Contax—however, digital came along. My hope was that Contax would do a digital version, and I planned to buy the moment it was available. However, it was never to be. Nearly a decade and a half later, Fujifilm totally ripped off the design, then upgraded it to a contemporary digital camera—my X-Pro1. By the time it reached my eye, I was in my comfort zone. Rangefinder technique is two-eyes open photography, and the XP1 was simply the best at it that I ever shot.

With an SLR, you look into it. With a rangefinder/viewfinder camera, you look through it. I could watch my subject with my bare eye, and float the framelines over the subject as well or better than any camera I had before. I could not be more pleased, and my images show it.

Fuji's gonna get ya - that's all I'm sayin' :D :D :D

Fuji's gonna get ya - that's all I'm sayin' :D :D :D

Somebody clearly needs to restrain me or have some type of intervention. :)

I have an X Pro (plus all the lenses), X100S, a Fuji Klasse, ST705, and GA645. I wish they made a toaster.....

That 23mm is absolutely the best lens I have ever owned.

no, it's not. stop drinking the dodkin koolaid. ;)

It's pretty awesome. Honestly, I do think 60 is perhaps the sharpest lens I've ever used. And to be fair I haven't used it but a few times. I'm still in that B/W film class. I have to shoot a roll every week so it's cut down on the time I've had to try it out. Film is kind of a pain in the butt. Fun, but time consuming. I'm going to give it a good workout over our Thanksgiving break. I do think it's worth the price based on what I have paid for some Nikon lenses in the past.

Frankly I've never been even remotely disappointed by any of the Fuji lenses I've bought. I use the 18mm all time and love it. That's why I sold all the Nikon gear. I just liked the Fuji stuff that much more. I've never regretted dumping the FF for the Fuji. They aren't for everyone, but they couldn't be more perfect for me.

Finally I'd like to say Chris is very persuasive.......:)

Well the X-E2 arrived this afternoon, and the initial reaction is ...

This seems nothing like the X100S I briefly tried so unsuccessfully :) The AF is certainly acceptable for what I envision using the camera system for, the EVF is much better to my eye and the JPEG's (NR=-2, sharpening=+1) are quite promising. I have a ISO 3200 file that exhibits NO chroma noise and very low luminance noise. There are a few firmware oddities (that stand a much better chance of getting upgraded than I'm used to from Olympus or Nikon) but nothing that seems to be a show stopper at first blush. The metering seems pretty conservative so far.

I just installed LR 5.3RC so I will fool with some raw files tomorrow. A couple more batteries and the 14mm/2.8 are arriving tomorrow. BestBuy lied about having the 23mm in stock online (my order changed to backordered yesterday), so I canceled and ordered one from Amazon with no delivery date as of yet.

The construction quality of the 18-55 is very impressive. The body is Nice, but not great from a build standpoint. The primary concern is the plastic bottom plate. I guess an RRS L-plate is in order anyway and will do double duty as a metal bottom plate.

I will want the 56/1.2 assuming the price isn't insane, but am undecided whether to pick up a used 60 macro. I think a EF-42 is on the short list along with a generic Canon TTL cord. I'll get some serious shutter time this weekend, weather permitting.

Time will tell if this all leads to a thinning of the m43 herd or the permanent addition of a 3rd camera system.

I'm left wondering whether the X100S I tried might have been defective in some way or if the E2 more improved than I thought based on reviews.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Beth. Not sure if I can deal with the pressure :eek:

Fooling with a couple junk raw shots @ ISO 3200 in 5.3 right now (stuff on my kitchen counter under the ceiling LED lights). The amazing thing is there is no chroma noise - running the color NR slider from 0 to 100 doesn't seem to do anything I can see at 100%.

Of course this is while eating beef jerky, drinking a few beers and half watching Pacific Rim on blu-ray with the home theater system cranking near reference level (the wife is out of town for a few days, so the whole house is a giant man-cave). I think the 15" subwoofer may be doing structural damage to the house :D

He's hooked - he's hooked! :D :D :D

Looks like a decent first date then Keith - now time to get to know each other ;)

I did find one thing that is really aggravating - it appears that bracketing is only 3 frames unless I'm missing an option somewhere. While this is fairly easy to deal with on tripod shots (-1 EC, bracket burst, +1 EC, bracket burst), it makes the camera a non-starter for handheld HDR.

The camera is just big enough to be easy to use, and the button layout is very nice. My m43 bodies are almost too small. I also like the Nikon-like power switch.

I believe the bracketing is just 3 frames Keith, so tripod required

OK - picked up the 23/1.4 at the local dealer this morning and got home to find the 14mm box sitting on my back porch :D Both are very well constructed lenses, appear to be quite sharp wide open, focus pretty quickly (I think the 18-55 is still faster by a bit), but are mechanically noisy when focusing - the 23mm in particular. And the 23 hood is rather hideous, but I already knew that. Particularly love that the focus ring has a hard stop at both ends.

A couple of gratuitous wide open, "look Ma, no DOF" first shots with the 23mm. The first was in the shop parking lot for another car mirror selfie :oops: Both raw in LR 5.3RC with basic sharpening, vibrance and contrast adjustments. And, yes, the key holder is pig asses with the tails as the hooks :rolleyes:. Found it years ago in a shop and never saw another one since.

lovely photos. the key holder is hilarious. have you checked to see if there are firmware upgrades available for the lenses? that could quiet them down a little, it did wonders with the 60mm. i doubt there's anything for the 23mm, but check the 18-55mm. that 23mm is crap, you should dispose of it immediately. my mailing address is....;)

I did up date the 14, the zoom and 23 were up to date (well the 23 is still on 1.0 it's so new).

Pete - if I was willing to spend the money on a M9/M240 (with the 21mm Elmarit, 35 & 90 'Crons) I wouldn't want a Fuji either :rolleyes:

I can't believe I'm actually writing this, but I have bought a Fuji X-E2 kit and also ordered the 23/1.4 lens. As some of you might have read on my pitiful Zenfolio blog page, I had a rather unsatisfying flirtation with the X100S a short while ago and ended up sending it back.

i don't think i saw your zenfolio blog, what did you not like about the x100s?

Basically the AF and the IQ. I don't know if the X100S I had was defective, the X-E2 is more different than Fuji would have you believe or it was the nut behind the viewfinder, but this X-E2 AF's a LOT better than the X100S I tired. The X100S files seemed noisier than what I'm getting now and I wasn't impressed by the sharpness or color. I still have a few of the X100S files - I need to compare then in LR 5.2 (which I was using then) and in 5.3RC that I'm using for the X-E2 files.

I also wasn't impressed with the EVF on the X100S.

Back