Hi Real Photographers!

Peri Trigkas

Hi Real Photographers!!!

I'm Peri and I live in sunny ...Wales (just kidding). I'm a Photographer among other things. I got a degree in Engineering and I'm about to finish my PhD in Neuroscience. It took me a while to go from admiring a photo to taking the camera and create my own photos. Since then, photography became more than a hobby. I shoot mostly landscapes either daytime or at nights. I have to say I loved long exposures since I got my first DSLR. I get excited by good street photography... with my street photography, not so much !

I'm trying to start photography professionally. Since now I've been doing it mostly part-time for friends. We'll see how that goes and I'll let you know :)

I've checked, long time ago, a couple of forums related to photography. Only now I decided to try two of them. So here I am!! Sharing experience is always constructive after all!! Any criticism is very welcome.

Nice to find you all!!

Welcome aboard Peri, pleasure to have you.

Hi, nice to meet you!!

To be honest , I haven't thought about it. Your question reminded me of a teacher that I had at Uni. I was looking for a project to submit as a research proposal. He told me then that some times you have to go where the money is. Hope I won't end up doing only stuff that I don't like just because I have to. Photography for me is either telling a story or showing people another perspective of the world. It doesn't have to be either landscape or street photography or portraits. Interesting is what I'm looking for. If I manage to achieve this I'll be happy.

Hi Peri, welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing some of your pictures :)

Welcome, Peri. What's the other forum you've decided to try?
Digital Photography School .. I joined 3 days ago but can't say that I'm satisfied. Lots of threads but it looks a bit slow in interaction with other members. Moderators problem? I dont really know.

Welcome Peri - to be fair you'll probably learn as much here - lot's of knowledge and a generally fabulous sense of humor prevails

Nowhere else like it.

You live in a wonderful part of the world though - looking forward to to Welsh landscapes :)

Hi, nice to meet you!!

To be honest , I haven't thought about it. Your question reminded me of a teacher that I had at Uni. I was looking for a project to submit as a research proposal. He told me then that some times you have to go where the money is. Hope I won't end up doing only stuff that I don't like just because I have to. Photography for me is either telling a story or showing people another perspective of the world. It doesn't have to be either landscape or street photography or portraits. Interesting is what I'm looking for. If I manage to achieve this I'll be happy.

As good an answer as any I reckon!
I suspect there is always going to be work that doesn't entirely float your boat ... At least unless you make a big name for your self... I have a couple of jobs in the pipeline I'm not too hot on ... Photographing window opening mechanisms is one, the other some sort of metal valves... The key is to make the work interesting for your self. Creative flare and personal take on a subject matter can help... And can often be the thing that gets you the work over and above the guy who just bats out the ttechnically correct but dull stuff. Unless of course the client is after the technically correct but dull stuff... But even then I usually concider it my job to convince them otherwise ;)
I never "made it" as a full time "pro", I got distracted and started a company making websites and branding and whatnot ... But I do do photography as a part of my job... And it's still my favorite (and least favorite) part ... It's hard work, but being financially rewarded for it is very rewarding ...
Where are you up to with it so far?

regarding other photography forums ... Few are as ace as this place! ;)

...and a late welcome to the show from me...........

'Don't take a seat and watch the show mind, it's much more rewarding if you get on the stage and become part of the act..........:D

Enjoy :)

...and a late welcome to the show from me...........

'Don't take a seat and watch the show mind, it's much more rewarding if you get on the stage and become part of the act..........:D

Enjoy :)
Thanks Kev!! I checked your links ..nice stuff!!! I liked the frames on flickr. I'll go back later for a proper view!

Welcome to RPF, I'm sure you are going to enjoy it here. From engineering to neuroscience - there has to be a story in there somewhere! :)

Thanks Pete and ..there is a story indeed not only from Engineering to Neuroscience but also within the Neuroscience...I had to change topic after my first year because one of my supervisors left.. so from signal processing I ended up doing hardcore psychophysics and magnetoenchephalography. Human brain is always interesting and exciting to explore though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll sure post some later today. Thanks!!

As good an answer as any I reckon!
I suspect there is always going to be work that doesn't entirely float your boat ... At least unless you make a big name for your self...
If I do I promise I'll keep posting here :p . I don't even know If I make it as a photographer to be honest !

The key is to make the work interesting for your self. Creative flare and personal take on a subject matter can help... .

I know it takes looong time until you find "a style", if ever. I guess only then people start recognising your work and you start building a name. Although, trying different styles (angles , processing, types of photography) keeps it interesting. That's happened with me at least.

I never "made it" as a full time "pro", I got distracted and started a company making websites and branding and whatnot ... But I do do photography as a part of my job... And it's still my favorite (and least favorite) part ... It's hard work, but being financially rewarded for it is very rewarding ...

It happened the other way around with me. Photography ..distracted me while I was exploring tactile sensation (my thesis project :) ).
Where are you up to with it so far?

In terms of skills, networking, knowledge or willingness? I got the latter , listening to people who know what they are doing or at least have something constructive to offer and trying to be ..talkative with potential customers :) . Theory is good but skills come only with practising so I keep practising... I'd like to get some experience in lights coz I have none since I don't have a studio. I've looked around a couple of times to hire but hasn't done it yet

regarding other photography forums ... Few are as ace as this place! ;)
Tell me about it ! At least I was lucky with Real Photographers. Friendly set up , nice people, and smooth flow.

I'm ready for the next question...hit me :p

What's magnetoencelo,...[doh], magnetoenchopolo,...[doh], magnetolecepofagry,...[doh], you know, what is that thing? :confused:

LOL.... Magnetoencephalography is another technique of brain imaging. It detects the electromagnetic brain activity.. in other words you can...reeeeead minds!!! :p

Back